dbus Error After Update

bligher

Mar 7, 2020
Hello everyone,

After rebooting, Proxmox failed to start with the error message "corrupted linked list". I managed to somewhat correct the error using the fsck manually, which brought the web interface back up. However, I am now unable to start any containers or backups.

I'm hoping someone can assist me in resolving this issue and getting my containers and backups running again. Any assistance or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

#1 Error
logical volume(s) in volume group "pve" now active
/mapper/pue-root contains a file system with errors, check forced.
es that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found.

/mapper/pue-root: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY: RUN fsck MANUALLY.
(i.e., without -a or -p options)
exited with status code 4
root filesystem on /dev/mapper/pve-root requires a manual fsck

Box v1.30.1 (Debian 1:1.30.1-6+b3) built-in shell (ash) r 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
tramfs) help t-in commands:
: [[[ alias bg break cd chdir command continue echo eval exec
exit export false fg getopts hash help history jobs kill let
local printf pwd read readonly return set shift source test times
trap true type ulimit umask unalias unset wait tramfs)

#2 Error
Sep 02 09:41:38 pve systemd[1]: Started D-Bus System Message Bus.
Sep 02 09:41:38 pve systemd[3489]: dbus.service: Failed to locate executable /usr/bin/dbus-daemon: No such file or directory
Sep 02 09:41:38 pve systemd[3489]: dbus.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /usr/bin/dbus-daemon: No such file or directory

Sep 02 09:41:38 pve systemd[1]: dbus.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=203/EXEC
Sep 02 09:41:38 pve systemd[1]: dbus.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

root@pve:~# systemctl status dbus.service
● dbus.service - D-Bus System Message Bus
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/dbus.service; static)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sat 2023-09-02 11:06:40 CEST; 58s ago
TriggeredBy: ● dbus.socket
Docs: man:dbus-daemon(1)
Process: 15720 ExecStart=/usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system --address=systemd: --nofork --nopidfile --systemd-activation --syslog-only (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)
Main PID: 15720 (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)
CPU: 1ms

Sep 02 11:06:40 pve systemd[1]: Started D-Bus System Message Bus.
Sep 02 11:06:40 pve systemd[15720]: dbus.service: Failed to locate executable /usr/bin/dbus-daemon: No such file or directory
Sep 02 11:06:40 pve systemd[15720]: dbus.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /usr/bin/dbus-daemon: No such file or directory
Sep 02 11:06:40 pve systemd[1]: dbus.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=203/EXEC
Sep 02 11:06:40 pve systemd[1]: dbus.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Sep 02 11:06:40 pve systemd[1]: dbus.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Sep 02 11:06:40 pve systemd[1]: dbus.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Sep 02 11:06:40 pve systemd[1]: Failed to start D-Bus System Message Bus.

root@pve:~# systemctl list-units --state=failed
UNIT LOAD ACTIVE SUB DESCRIPTION
● dbus.service loaded failed failed D-Bus System Message Bus
● dbus.socket loaded failed failed D-Bus System Message Bus Socket

LOAD = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
SUB = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.
2 loaded units listed.

root@pve:~# apt policy dbus
dbus:
Installed: 1.12.24-0+deb11u1
Candidate: 1.12.24-0+deb11u1
Version table:
*** 1.12.24-0+deb11u1 500
500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 Packages
500 http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye-security/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

ERROR: Backup of VM 100 failed - org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoServer: Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Connection refused
INFO: Failed at 2023-09-02 11:09:12
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
TASK ERROR: job errors

Hi,
does apt install --reinstall dbus-daemon help? What does apt dist-upgrade say? Is that actually an u there /mapper/pue-root? That seems strange. I'd check the health of the disk and memory and look in the journal for additional errors.

Hi,
does apt install --reinstall dbus-daemon help? What does apt dist-upgrade say? Is that actually an u there /mapper/pue-root? That seems strange. I'd check the health of the disk and memory and look in the journal for additional errors.
I reinstalled it again and encountered the same error with the Corsair hard drive. I couldn't test your suggestion anymore because I replaced the hard drive and reinstalled Proxmox. Thank you for your tip.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!