Datacenter Storage full

SaintsIIV

Jan 24, 2024
Hi,

I am new in using Proxmox VE. I already deleted some files inside my VM but still the storage in Datacenter storage didn't change. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi SaintsIIV,

Welcome to the forums!
I am new in using Proxmox VE. I already deleted some files inside my VM but still the storage in Datacenter storage didn't change. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The VM has space allocated to it. Whether or not it is used inside of the VM is not visible outside of the VM.

Hi SaintsIIV,

Welcome to the forums!

The VM has space allocated to it. Whether or not it is used inside of the VM is not visible outside of the VM.
In case of thin-provisioning PVE can show it, as it needs to track what blocks are free or used. See "Disks -> LVM-Thin" or "Disks -> ZFS" in the webUI to see the sizes of the virtual disks. But then you need to enable discard/TRIM for that VM to report the deleted blocks to the storage of the host so the hosts storage can free up space of deleted blocks.

Last edited:
Hi SaintsIIV,

Welcome to the forums!

Thank you for the reply, but my concern is. IF the datacenter storage is full, can I still be open the VM ? I Experienced before that the datacenter is full and cannot start a VM so I deleted some snapshots to free some space and I able to start a VM again, but this time I only have 1 snapshot left and the Datacenter storage is almost full.

You should monitor your storage and set up alerts so it won't fill up in the first place.

And its not about the number of snapshots but how old those snapshots are. Snapshots are not for long-term "backup". You should delete them after a few days as they will grow over time. Nothing you delete after the snapshot is taken will be deleted until you destroy that snapshot.

Again, check your TRIM/discard. If you don't set that up properly for every VM and LXC deleted data won't free up disk space even if there are no snapshots.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!