DAB Built Wheezy Templates broken in PVE 3.3-2?

apmuthu

Renowned Member
Feb 26, 2009
Chennai - India & Singapore
github.com
DAB Compiled Wheezy templates based containers do not recognise the root console password set while creating it if created in the last few days under PVE 3.3-2. Anyone can try to simulate it by creating a DAB Wheezy Minimal template under PVE-3.3 (kernel build 136) and creating a container based on it and starting the container and trying to SSH into it. Has any change in debian wheezy broken it?

Addendum to this issue: The DAB Built Wheezy based containers are accessible using NoVNC and VNC but when using PuTTY / FileZilla SSH, it does not recognise the root password set during container creation. The firewall in the PVE is not used. Squeeze containers work well in all of them.

Anything to do with the kernel build 136?

but when using PuTTY / FileZilla SSH, it does not recognise the root password set during container creation.

I think you just need to enable root login:

# grep -i root /etc/ssh/sshd_config
PermitRootLogin yes

AFAIK this is disabled by default in wheezy (security feature).

If this is the Wheezy default, then it must be of recent origin because as of mid July 2014, this was not so.
Also templates compiled on PVE 3.2 (not updated since install) are able to deliver templates compiled without this "security feature".

The current default /etc/ssh/sshd_config actually ships with less security:
Code:
# Authentication:
LoginGraceTime 120
PermitRootLogin without-password
StrictModes yes

Changing it to: PermitRootLogin yes
makes it work like before.

During DAB template creation, the Release info ignored now arises.

In the wheezy based DAB Makefile, just before the dab finalize line we now need:
Code:
    sed -e 's/^PermitRootLogin .*/PermitRootLogin yes/g' -i ${BASEDIR}/etc/ssh/sshd_config
#    # Remove Comment in next line for PVE 1.x Template
#    sed -e 's/^\s*1:2345:respawn/# 1:2345:respawn/' -i ${BASEDIR}/etc/inittab

Thanks Dietmar.

Also on a side note, is the "no-subscription" version limited to only the root user for the GUI? Whilst in PVE 3.3-2 (kernel build 136) I am able to create a new users and set a password for it and assign a role (must we create a group as well ?), I was not able to login to the GUI using the newly created credentials.

Furthermore, any reason why the DAB Templates forum was closed?

Last edited:
Also on a side note, is the "no-subscription" version limited to only the root user for the GUI?

No, nothing is limited. Adding users work for me.

Furthermore, any reason why the DAB Templates forum was closed?

We want to use the development mailing list instead (pve-devel@pve.proxmox.com).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!