CVE-2021-3748 - QEMU: virtio-net: heap use-after-free in virtio_net_receive_rcu

BelCloud

Renowned Member
Dec 15, 2015
www.belcloud.net
Hello

Code:
A use-after-free vulnerability was found in the virtio-net device of QEMU. It could occur when the descriptor's address belongs to the non direct access region, due to num_buffers being set after the virtqueue elem has been unmapped. A malicious guest could use this flaw to crash QEMU, resulting in a denial of service condition, or potentially execute code on the host with the privileges of the QEMU process.
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1998514

As far as I understand, there's a risk of guest to host access due to this vulnerability.

I was wondering if this is fixed and if pve 6 is also covered?
Are there any mitigations or we need to shutdown / migrate all VMs in order to update it?

Thank you

Hi,
I was wondering if this is fixed and if pve 6 is also covered?
The fix isn't contained in the 5.2 QEMU from Proxmox VE 6.4 at time of writing, we'll cherry-pick this plus a few other bugfix patches that piled up and release this over the next few days for PVE 6.x.
Are there any mitigations or we need to shutdown / migrate all VMs in order to update it?
Once the upgrade is available you can just do the classic: first, upgrade a host then migrate VMs from to upgraded host so that they start with the new, fixed QEMU executable.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!