curlftpfs - EPERM: Operation not permitted

sheshman

Jan 16, 2023
Hi,

Using Linux 5.15.102-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.15.102-1 (2023-03-14T13:48Z) backup server and wanted to backup to ftp server, installed curlftpfs and mounted to /mnt/backup, when i "ls" i can see folders, create file or folder without any problem through ssh, but when i try to add as datastore it returns EPERM: Operation not permitted.

Mounting my ftp to folder as :

Code:
curlftpfs myuser:'mypassword'@192.168.1.245 /mnt/backup -o rw,allow_root

I believe it's related to folder permissions somehow root user can read,write & delete in ftp mount but backup server is not able to get ownership of the ftp mount?

Screenshots as attached.

Attachments

• 001.png
    001.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 002.png
    002.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 5
Hi,

Can you try to write a file in your FTP datastore using the following command?

Bash:
sudo -u backup touch foobar.txt

Reactions: sheshman
Hi,

Can you try to write a file in your FTP datastore using the following command?

Bash:
sudo -u backup touch foobar.txt
Hi Moayad,

Thanks for your reply, when i tried your suggestion it returned "Permission denied" i think that's the problem, also tried ;
Code:
chown backup /mnt/backup

but it returned "Operation not permitted", i'm a rookie about linux don't know what else should i try to give permission to backup user to that folder. FTP folder's permissions are already 777

Last edited:
Sorry for late replay.

Thanks for your reply, when i tried your suggestion it returned "Permission denied" i think that's the problem, also tried ;
You have to set the permission from the FTP server to the backup user.

Sorry for late reply, i've tried to create user as "backup" on ftp side but it doesn't allow me to create a user name "backup", it's one of the hosting companies and they are automatically creating user names, is there any work arround?

update :

i was able to mount ftp as;
Code:
sudo -u backup curlftpfs username:'password'@myserver /mnt/yedekler

after this command touch worked : sudo -u backup touch /mnt/yedekler/foobar.txt

when i try to mount i'm getting : unable to create chunk store 'backupstor' at "/mnt/yedekler" - EACCES: Permission denied

Folder permissions already set to 777 and hosting company says they can't give permission to any other user to ftp storage,i need to use my username provided by them, any advice?

Hi,

Sorry for the late answer, The datastore should have permission for the backup user on your FTP, you have to do that in your FTP server.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!