[SOLVED] CT failing to start at boot - starting too early?

sylsyl

Jun 14, 2024
I installed Proxmox yesterday for the first time on new hardware. I have been using Hyper-V for about a year.

The install went well. Things appear faster than Hyper-V (but it is newer hardware).

I installed an LXC container for Plex. I have that working. It is an unpriviledged container with passthrough of the iGPU. I used the script at https://tteck.github.io/Proxmox/ to install it. I subsequently mounted my NAS hard drive using instructions I found on this site for a CIFS share. I'm really glad I read about it first or I would have ended up pulling my hair out. I have also installed a couple of test Ubuntu VMs and they appear fine.

All is working (once I increased the size of the drive in my Plex container to accommodate the cached data in the PhotoTranscoder directory) EXCEPT when I restart Proxmox, the Plex container fails to boot with the following output:

Code:
run_buffer: 571 Script exited with status 19
lxc_init: 845 Failed to run lxc.hook.pre-start for container "100"
__lxc_start: 2034 Failed to initialize container "100"
TASK ERROR: startup for container '100' failed

Interestingly, when the machine starts up I get the following in Tasks output:

"CT100 start" (which fails) followed a few seconds later by "Bulk start VMs and containers" and then immediately a "VM101 start"

I can subsequently start CT100 manually just fine.

If I tell VM101 to boot first, followed by a 10 second delay, then CT100 to boot 2nd, it starts fine.

What am I doing wrong or? It's as if CT100 is trying to start too early. What if I don't want any VMs to auto-start - how can I delay CT100?

I believe you could use the Start On Boot Delay option for this purpose. See here.
You can also do it from the GUI, Node, Options, Start on boot delay & Edit.

Reactions: sylsyl
Thanks - a 10 second delay seems to have made it work.

The Tasks output still suggests that the CT100 starts 4-5 seconds prior to "Bulk start VMs and Containers" but it worked this time which is the important bit. I guess it was taking a couple of seconds to mount the CIFS share which caused the trouble.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!