Squ1sh

Nov 5, 2020
Hi, the documentation says:

The Proxmox VE firewall groups the network into the following logical zones:
Host
Traffic from/to a cluster node
VM
Traffic from/to a specific VM
For each zone, you can define firewall rules for incoming and/or outgoing traffic.

How is this meant ? Are firewall rules on datacenter and node level are for the Zones "Host" and the rules on vm/ct level are for the zone "VM" ?
Or can i mix this and say i.e. "allow tcp dest port 8006 from source zone VM to dest zone Host" ?
I find this a bit confusion because the term zone doesnt appear in the doku afterwards anymore.

>>How is this meant ? Are firewall rules on datacenter and node level are for the Zones "Host" and the rules on vm/ct level are for the zone "VM" ?
yes.

host rules are in iptables INPUT/OUTPUT chains , and vm rules are in iptables FORWARD chains.

To simplyfy, it's just like you have separated firewalls for each vm and for host. (even if it's only 1 big iptables rules).

>>Or can i mix this and say i.e. "allow tcp dest port 8006 from source zone VM to dest zone Host" ?

if you have default drop/reject rules for host && vms, you need to create 2 rules:

in host firewall : " IN RULE : allow tcp dest port 8006 from source zone VM"
in vm firewall : "OUT RULE: allow tcp dest port 8006 to dest zone Host"

Thx for the answers. But in my case i just don't don't see an alias 'VM' or 'Host' in the gui dropdown when i add a new rule. Or when i just enter 'VM' it says: source: no such alias 'VM'. There also no aliases or ipsets defined on Datacenter->firewall->Alias. Shoud they ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!