criu or how to migrate containers

Apr 27, 2022
Hi,

I want to be able to migrate LXC container from one Proxmox node to the next. Right now I am doing backup/restore.

criu supposedly allows for live migration.

Should I hold my breath for Proxmox to provide an interface to migrating container from one node to the next, or would that mean a horrible death for me?

Any and all insight is greatly appreciated.

I want to be able to migrate LXC container from one Proxmox node to the next. Right now I am doing backup/restore.
Within a cluster or standalone Proxmox VE nodes?

In a cluster, you can migrate containers. They will be shutdown and started on the target node.

I haven't been involved, but AFAIK there were attempts to live migrate containers in a cluster with criu, but it wasn't working as (reliably) as we hoped. Not sure about the current state of criu. Others might have more insight.

Thanks Aaron, for your quick reply.

At the moment we have two nodes without a (usable) shared storage.

Looking forward to more information that you or your colleagues might be able to provide.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!