Creating a bootable USB ..

iptrix

Dec 27, 2021
I've been trying for a day now. Used 5 or so different programs, using DD or ISO mode, and it just won't work. I burned 2 DVD disks using different programs, still no luck.

This is for the 7 version that's current today, downloaded twice to different computers (one a debian, to try the dd command). No luck. I can get it to boot with rufus (3.17?) in ISO mode. Then, it fails to find the install files. If I try DD mode for rufus, grub panic.

If I try dd command on my ubuntu laptop, grub panic. If I try any other burning software (etcher, imgburn, win32diskimage or the recommended ImageISO that can't even read the .iso file) - nothing works.

It's a HP DL360 G7. But since I can't even get past either grub panic, or not finding install files, that really shouldn't matter.

What am I doing wrong?

Could you try the PVE 6.4 ISO?

Did you update the BIOS to the latest version?

Could you try the PVE 6.4 ISO?

Did you update the BIOS to the latest version?
I tried the 6.1 version, since I had that about.

And no, the bios on the HP machine is older. What would it matter? It runs *everything* else.

What seemed to work was booting from a ISO-programmed USB stick, and at the same time having a burned DVD image of the same. I don't get it, but if it works .. and I wouldn't be doing this again any time soon.

Now, the installer found the ISO it wanted - it was on the DVD drive - while booting from the USB stick. Anything else wouldn't work.

i think you have some work to do; this has never been an issue with linux images, even on the same computer.

What seemed to work was booting from a ISO-programmed USB stick, and at the same time having a burned DVD image of the same. I don't get it, but if it works .. and I wouldn't be doing this again any time soon.

Now, the installer found the ISO it wanted - it was on the DVD drive - while booting from the USB stick. Anything else wouldn't work.

i think you have some work to do; this has never been an issue with linux images, even on the same computer.
Might have written too soon .. been on "creating LVs" for 10 minutes now.

The saga continues ...

Rufus in dd-mode should work. You can also try using another USB stick and another computer to create that bootable stick. I've got one computer here where it seems that the USB controller is creating problems and no USB Stick will be bootable. Doing the same with another computer worked fine. And I also got a unreliable USB stick once.

Third USB-stick I tried seemed to get it. I still had to manually force the HP to boot from USB-Key drive .. but that did the trick. Upgrading from 6.x to 7 doesn't seem to work anyway - all these additions you have to manually make to sources.list and what not. this'll be fun going forwards.

Still, I did get past that bottleneck; burning garden variety USb drives with DD doesn't seem to work. Never seen this from linux distributions, so that was kinda new. I did end up using Etcher for that one, too.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!