create ZFS after PVE installation

alex.tls

Oct 17, 2020
I install PVE on single SSD disk. then I create ZFS with
Code:
zpool create  vmpool /dev/sdb /dev/sdc ... /dev/sdf
So I get a pool now, I want to put ISO files and tools as well as run VM within this pool.

1. Do I need to create a dataset before I use that pool? I click on the new storage vmpool(pve), I found I can't find a place to let me update ISO files into this pool, but I can upload ISO file when I click on the storage of local(pve) , as it has a portal call ISO Images.

2. Then I create a few datasets as bellow:
Code:
NAME          USED  AVAIL     REFER  MOUNTPOINT
vmpool       2.68M  3.52T      302K  /vmpool
vmpool/iso    279K  3.52T      279K  /vmpool/iso
vmpool/tool   279K  3.52T      279K  /vmpool/tool
vmpool/vm    279K  3.52T      279K  /vmpool/vm
But how can I use those pool? like put ISO files in /vmpool/iso , and put vm disk into /vmpool/vm.

3. Then I check a conf according to this document -- https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage
Code:
root@pve:/etc/pve# cat storage.cfg
dir: local
        path /var/lib/vz
        content backup,vztmpl,iso

dir: tool              ---  so I need to define a new dir type storage  and put newly created dataset here ?
        path /vmpool/tool
        content backup,vztmpl,iso

zfspool: vmpool
        pool vmpool
        content images,rootdir
        mountpoint /vmpool
        nodes pve

zfspool: vm      --- so I need to define a new zfspool type storage and put newly created dataset here ?
        pool vmpool
        content images,rootdir
        mountpoint /vmpool/vm
        nodes pve

4. how to make it takes effect immediately without reboot after I have modify storage.cfg.

5. Can I take snapshot for my VM on my /vmpool/vm dataset , do I need to set some properties via zfs set xxx ?

6. Can I take a backup for my VM on my /vmpool/vm dataset , do I need to set some properties via zfs set xxx ?

Anyone can help ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!