Create VM on a disk that a VM has currently mounted

iptvcld

May 24, 2019
Hello everyone; hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I am using PVE 5.4-3 and I currently have the follow disks:

230GB SSD (Main data drive)
4x 1TB drives showing under disks.

I have created a VM on my 230GB SSD and i currently have the 4TB drives mounted on that Windows 10 VM. I would now like to create a new linux VM but mount the drive from this new VM on my Windows 10 VM (on one of those 4tb drives).

Is this possible? I dont want to waste a new 1TB drive for a small 20GB linux VM.

Thank you,

I have created a VM on my 230GB SSD and i currently have the 4TB drives mounted on that Windows 10 VM. I would now like to create a new linux VM but mount the drive from this new VM on my Windows 10 VM (on one of those 4tb drives).

Is this possible? I dont want to waste a new 1TB drive for a small 20GB linux VM.

The virtual disks for VMs have to be separated strictly from each other. AFAIU Windows VM uses the 4 disks a whole (i.e. not via a Proxmox storage), in that case you must not use space from these disks for any other VM.

The clearest way to achieve your request is to create an LVM storage at one of the 4 disks, then on it a 20GB virtual disk for your LINUX VM and a 980 GB virtual disk for your Windows VM. Note that already existing data at that disk will be overwritten.

Hello everyone; hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I am using PVE 5.4-3 and I currently have the follow disks:

Thank you,
Or Like me create container and you can mount them without any deleting

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!