Create Ceph OSD on SAN in Proxmox 6

Mino

Dec 31, 2016
Hello,

With previous proxmox 5 version, i was able to create ceph OSD on a multipath LUN with the command ceph-disk.
Now this command disappeared in proxmox 6.

I need to test ceph in my Lab, which only has SAN as storage.
How could i create OSD with a /dev/mapper/xxxxxx device. The ceph-volume command return errors when i try.

For example, with multipath device /dev/mapper/LUN_ceph_bay1_01, the underlying paths are /dev/sdc and /dev/sdd.

This is the way i could create OSD before on Proxmox 5 / Ceph 12 :

Code:
ceph-disk prepare /dev/mapper/LUN_ceph_bay1_01 --cluster-uuid CLUSTER_UUID_HERE
ceph-disk activate /dev/mapper/LUN_ceph_bay1_01
ceph-disk suppress-activate /dev/sdc
ceph-disk suppress-activate /dev/sdd

Now with ceph-volume on Proxmox 6 / Ceph 14 :

Code:
ceph-volume lvm prepare --data /dev/mapper/LUN_ceph_bay1_01

Result is :

Code:
Running command: /bin/ceph-authtool --gen-print-key
Running command: /bin/ceph --cluster ceph --name client.bootstrap-osd --keyring /var/lib/ceph/bootstrap-osd/ceph.keyring -i - osd new OSD_UUID_HERE
stderr: [errno 22] error connecting to the cluster
--> RuntimeError: Unable to create a new OSD id

The file /var/lib/ceph/bootstrap-osd/ceph.keyring doesn't exist, so I don't see how this can work.

The file /var/lib/ceph/bootstrap-osd/ceph.keyring doesn't exist, so I don't see how this can work.
Get the keyring from the cluster ceph auth get-or-create client.bootstrap-osd -o /var/lib/ceph/bootstrap-osd/ceph.keyring. Usually it is created on the beginning of the installation.

Ok thanks for the reply.

I generated the new keyring but still had an error :
Bash:
root@server:~# ceph-volume lvm prepare --data /dev/mapper/LUN_ceph_baie1_01
Running command: /bin/ceph --cluster ceph --name client.bootstrap-osd --keyring /var/lib/ceph/bootstrap-osd/ceph.keyring -i - osd new 0e901ab2-c308-4e66-8fbf-9f656baa45c9
--> Was unable to complete a new OSD, will rollback changes
Running command: /bin/ceph --cluster ceph --name client.bootstrap-osd --keyring /var/lib/ceph/bootstrap-osd/ceph.keyring osd purge-new osd.0 --yes-i-really-mean-it
 stderr: 2019-09-04 09:21:07.399 7fe1c1678700 -1 auth: unable to find a keyring on /etc/pve/priv/ceph.client.bootstrap-osd.keyring: (2) No such file or directory
2019-09-04 09:21:07.399 7fe1c1678700 -1 AuthRegistry(0x7fe1bc07f818) no keyring found at /etc/pve/priv/ceph.client.bootstrap-osd.keyring, disabling cephx
 stderr: purged osd.0
-->  RuntimeError: Cannot use device (/dev/mapper/LUN_ceph_baie1_01). A vg/lv path or an existing device is needed

So i copied the keyring in `/etc/pve` and the first error disappeared :

Bash:
root@server:~# cp /var/lib/ceph/bootstrap-osd/ceph.keyring /etc/pve/priv/ceph.client.bootstrap-osd.keyring

root@server:~# ceph-volume lvm prepare --data /dev/mapper/LUN_ceph_baie1_01
Running command: /bin/ceph --cluster ceph --name client.bootstrap-osd --keyring /var/lib/ceph/bootstrap-osd/ceph.keyring -i - osd new 55e5188b-7b09-4d79-ae14-30a1f0684492
Running command: /bin/ceph --cluster ceph --name client.bootstrap-osd --keyring /var/lib/ceph/bootstrap-osd/ceph.keyring osd purge-new osd.0 --yes-i-really-mean-it
-->  RuntimeError: Cannot use device (/dev/mapper/LUN_ceph_baie1_01). A vg/lv path or an existing device is needed

I tried creating a VG/LV on the multipath device, but with no success :

Bash:
root@server:~# vgcreate vg_ceph_baie1_01 /dev/mapper/LUN_ceph_baie1_01
  Physical volume "/dev/mapper/LUN_ceph_baie1_01" successfully created.
  Volume group "vg_ceph_baie1_01" successfully created

root@server:~# lvcreate -n lv_ceph vg_ceph_baie1_01 -l+100%FREE
  Logical volume "lv_ceph" created.

root@server:~# ceph-volume lvm prepare --data /dev/mapper/vg_ceph_baie1_01-lv_ceph
Running command: /bin/ceph --cluster ceph --name client.bootstrap-osd --keyring /var/lib/ceph/bootstrap-osd/ceph.keyring -i - osd new bed4b417-9972-4b1c-a858-b2a641d44acd
-->  RuntimeError: Cannot use device (/dev/mapper/vg_ceph_baie1_01-lv_ceph). A vg/lv path or an existing device is needed

Do you have any idea why it's not working ?

ceph-volume wants physical devices or partitions. You may try with vg_ceph_baie1_01/lv_ceph.

In general, please don't use foreign devices for OSDs, it has higher latency and may be unstable for Ceph usage.

It doesn't work with `vg_ceph_baie1_01/lv_ceph`. I got the same error.

I know CEPH is supposed to work only with physical disks, but as i said, this is a lab environment where i only have SAN storage.
So there is no way to install an OSD on a /dev/mapper device ?

It doesn't work with `vg_ceph_baie1_01/lv_ceph`. I got the same error.
Does this mean, you tried without the /dev/mapper in front?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!