creat a VM from Proxmox Configuration files

Adrian.michel

Jan 10, 2017
Hey Guys,

I tried to find Proxmox Configuration files on H.D.D.
I found 2 *.conf files here :
etc/pve/qemu-server
I removed my VM on Proxmox manually and now i'm going to make my VM from these files.
any ideas?

Thanks in advance

When you say you removed your VM manually, did you go through and delete all the VM hard disk files?

Thanks for reply Buddy :)
I didn’t remove all the files. I saved just Proxmox Configuration files somewhere on Hard drive and then I deleted VM (that i created manually before)
I removed VM only from Proxmox GUI. Now I’m going to make same VM from these Configuration files that I saved.

Thanks

If you removed the VM from Proxmox GUI this will have deleted the HD's attached to this VM along with any data.

If you have the VM xml files then all you have is a small array of the configuration of the VM, CPU / RAM / NETWORK / attached resources and nothing more than that, so not sure what you are trying to "create".

I'm gonna recovery all things. There isn't such a file called XML file. I've found 2 files *.conf as Configurations files.

Unless you saved the VM hard drive files, it seems like the best option would be to just re-create the VM's via the web GUI.

If you did save the hard drive files, I would still re-create the VM's from the web GUI, and then edit the VM config file to use the file you saved from the old VM.

Unless you fully understand what you're doing, probably best to always use the web GUI. Proxmox did a fantastic job with it, and it works very well.

Reactions: Adrian.michel

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!