CPU type of kvm64 has even better performance than `host` at network speed

left4pve

Jul 12, 2021
Hi guys. I'm running pfSense as a VM on a host with J4125 CPU. The LAN network is connected to a Gigabit NIC. When using kvm64 as the CPU type, I can saturate the NIC at around 940Mbps, which is expected. However if switched to `host` as the CPU type, I can only reach around 850Mbps. Could someone please help me understand what might cause the performance degradation? And, what's the correct use case of `host` CPU type? Thanks!

P.s., I understand that KVM64 is live-migration-friendly, but unfortunately I only have one machine.

Interesting question... would also like to know what the optimal settings are.

In my homelab I set the OS for OPNsense as type "Other", since it runs on FreeBSD and not Linux.
In Network Device you can also tweak the multiqueue setting, this is for large datapackets like routers.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!