CPU temp spiking, core division probably?

debruijnsteven

Sep 22, 2023
Hi All,

A few weeks back i ordered a brand new system to run as a server here in our office.

Hardware specs:
I7-14700K
Noctua NH-U9S
128GB DDR5 memory
Supermicro X13SAE-F motherboard

Right now, i have 5 containers and 4 VM's running, and them the motherboard started to beep every now and then... After some investigation i found out that the motherboard detected CPU temperature, and started to beep as a warning. That worried me, since my avg CPU usage is below 10%.

So i installed glances, to easily monitor the temperatures and find out what was wrong.

There i noticed that the average temperature was around 65C, but every now and then there are temperature spikes, up to 90C. The spikes are usualy very short. Glances updates every 2sec; e.g. temp is steady 60C, 2sec later shows 90C, 2sec later shows 60c again.

For a test, i stole the CPU cooler from an gaming PC, which is twice the size of the Noctua, and i bought an thermal pad, to make sure i did not f*ck up with the cooling paste.
This did improve things, average temperature dropped to around 50 degrees. But still i'm seeing the same spikes, still up to 90C.

Glances also shows an overview with the tasks incl cpu usage per task. There i did notice a few things;
I have a win10 vm running. I initialy gave it 2 sockets, 4 cores, and 16gb memory.
the VM runs smoothly, and in glaces i see an KVM task with an average CPU usage of 30%, but with very high spikes sometimes around 150%. During startup of the VM the CPU usage of that task goes up to 350%.
I gave it 4 sockets with 4 cores and 32gb memory, but still the same CPU usage...
I'm not entirely sure, but i think this maybe the cause of the temperature spikes?
In PVE on the summery page, the vm cpu usage never exceeds 10%, not even during startup.

I also noticed this behavior on other vm's and containers sometimes.

So my question;
the high cpu usage on some tasks as shown in glaces, can that have something to do with how i set up the sockets vs cores etc?
Why does increasing the nr of sockets/cores lower the total CPU usage in the summary page, but glaces still shows high cpu spikes on the KVM task, and high temp spikes?

Hoping for some advice, thanks in advance!

Yes, the latest generations of (AMD and Intel) CPUs automatically increases speed (especially for single threaded loads) and does not stop until it hits 90C or other limits.
With work-loads with more threads, it does run into those limits earlier (and temp stay lower). Maybe ask Supermicro for a BIOS update for 14th gen CPUs that run hotter than 13th gen?
There are also stability issues with 14th (and 13th?) gen Intel consumer CPUs and those limits where Intel and motherboard manufacturers blame each other.

EDIT: None of this is specific to Proxmox or Linux, so other information on the internet about modern CPUs also apply.

Last edited:
Yes, the latest generations of (AMD and Intel) CPUs automatically increases speed (especially for single threaded loads) and does not stop until it hits 90C or other limits.
With work-loads with more threads, it does run into those limits earlier (and temp stay lower). Maybe ask Supermicro for a BIOS update for 14th gen CPUs that run hotter than 13th gen?
There are also stability issues with 14th (and 13th?) gen Intel consumer CPUs and those limits where Intel and motherboard manufacturers blame each other.

EDIT: None of this is specific to Proxmox or Linux, so other information on the internet about modern CPUs also apply.
Okay, so basically if i understand you correctly, i should not be worried about the temperature spikes, and just need the motherboard to be updated to not give me these warnings to early? I found online that i can adjust these limits with ipmitool, so I don't think i need supermicro for that. But i want to be sure that's the right way to go, since i'm experiencing this while the total cpu load i still very low...

I7-14700K
Oh damn. That might turn out to be a super unfortunate choice, through no fault of your own: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzHcrbT5D_Y

Hmmm, that video says 13900k and 14900k are most affected in the text, so it might be something else.

Though the 14700 is noted as not totally without problems either, as per the Oodle Decompression Failure statement where it's mentioned directly.

Last edited:
Oh damn. That might turn out to be a super unfortunate choice, through no fault of your own: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzHcrbT5D_Y

Hmmm, that video says 13900k and 14900k are most affected in the text, so it might be something else.

Though the 14700 is noted as not totally without problems either, as per the Oodle Decompression Failure statement where it's mentioned directly.
hmm I don't like what i'm reading at all.... Aldo i must say i am running this system for two weeks now, and did not have any crashes, yet...
Just some temperature spikes

Hopefully it's just temperature spikes and nothing actually goes badly wrong. Er... good luck? :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!