CPU Sockets vs. Cores/Socket

mikeborschow

Jul 9, 2008
I don't want to assume that I know what these are because I don't. These settings are in the KVM configuration section. What are they? What are good guidelines for setting them?

Thanks.

I don't want to assume that I know what these are because I don't. These settings are in the KVM configuration section. What are they? What are good guidelines for setting them?

Thanks.

New KVM version can simulate Multi-core CPUs (Cores setting):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-core_(computing)

A Socket is the place where you plug in the CPU.

So normaly you use:

cores: 1
socket: 1

which is also the default.

If I wanted to assign "2 CPUs" to a virtual machine, what is the difference in performance between:
  • 1 CPU socket and 2 Socket/Cores
    -vs-
  • 2 CPU sockets and 1 Socket/Core

If I wanted to assign "2 CPUs" to a virtual machine, what is the difference in performance between:
  • 1 CPU socket and 2 Socket/Cores
    -vs-
  • 2 CPU sockets and 1 Socket/Core

For some software licenses this can be a big difference.

Else it does not matter usually.

So is it safe to assume that this is for immulation purposes and not related to actual hardware usage? Not to beat the subject to death, but let me ask this as well. Assuming the sofrware license is for one CPU and in the computer I have 2 quad core CPUs. Can I tell KVM 1 CPU Socket with 8 Socket/Cores?

So is it safe to assume that this is for immulation purposes and not related to actual hardware usage?

yes - it simply starts "Socket*Cores" kvm threads.

Not to beat the subject to death, but let me ask this as well. Assuming the sofrware license is for one CPU and in the computer I have 2 quad core CPUs. Can I tell KVM 1 CPU Socket with 8 Socket/Cores?

yes, should work. (I guess you meant 1-Socket/8-Cores)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!