CPU on guests >100%

embb

May 19, 2015
Hi,

I've notice some strange behavior on 2 boxes with windows 2012 R2 Standard Edition and also on Windows 10 Enterprise edition.
I've never been able to isolate the issue until now since the cpu would go to 100% or even more and no rdp or html5 viewer will work to see what would be happening on the guests VM's.

However I've now isolated the issue on one of the boxes with Windows 2012 R2.
Here are the steps I'm following and always getting the same result:
1-Install the OS (disk with qcow2) and setup one admin user;
2-Install virtio driver (last stable - 102)
3-Add it to my domain
4-Go to add roles and just select the File Server for NFS and accept all the associated required features

During the installation process the cpu goes to 100% or even more and can stay like that all night.

Has anyone struggle with a similar issue ?

Best Regards
Eduardo Barbosa

Had the same issue with one of my 2008R2 machines a few days ago (ballon, disk and network driver virtio .102).
Solution for me was:
- bring down the VM
- replace the virtio nic with intel e1000
All cpu peaks went away after that.
Quite strange because i have other servers using virtio network drivers (same version) and do not show this problem.
Although this one used the network quite heavily compared to the others ...

Dirk

Hi Dirk,

Thanks for the feedback.
Let me try that to see if the problem goes away.

Regards
Eduardo

Hi Again Dirk,

Your help was precious. That solved it !!!
For someone with the same issue don't even try the latest development version (109) because the issue is the same.
Changing the NIC type like Dirk mention is the workaround that also worked for me.

Regards,
Eduardo

Thanks for the feedback Eduardo, glad to hear it-s working now.
It-s a pity that so many people don-t give a feedback when something worked for them, would help others visiting this forum.

Dirk

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!