CPU Load Not Accurate

HeyRob

Mar 21, 2018
Hey Guys,

I recently installed VE v5.1 onto an Intel NUC.. a fresh install, single host (non-clustered); and I've noticed some odd behavior on the CPU usage reporting for VM's, which were freshly created on this host.

The following screenshots are roughly the same time (within about two minutes of each other).

Here is my host:

Apollo2 - Load.PNG

Here is a Ubuntu Server 14.04 VM - Still in the 'pre-install' environment, sitting idle at the "specify hostname" prompt:

MISCVM1 - CPU.PNG

Here is a Ubuntu Server 16 VM - Still in the 'pre-install' environment, sitting idle at the "specify hostname" prompt:

MISCVM2 - CPU.PNG

And here is a Windows 10 VM, during the core-installation portion:

TESTWIN - CPU.PNG

As you can see, the host, apollo2, is reporting a roughly constant 13% CPU usage for the first two VM's (both Ubuntu)... I have finished the installation for both VM's, this value will not fluctuate post-install.. and running 'top' reports nearly zero CPU usage in both Ubuntu environments.

What does cause the top two VM's to fluctuate on CPU usage (in Proxmox) for MISCVM1 (Linux) and MISCVM2 (Linux) is higher CPU usage on TESTWIN (Win10)... and it affects it in the inverse direction... as if CPU frequency is being ramped up, causing "overall" utilization to drop on the first two VM's, without the CPU demand (actually) dropping at all for those two VM's.

Can anyone explain this behavior, and if so, how can it be corrected? I don't know where Proxmox is getting it's 'baseline' from on these Linux VM's, but it is far from accurate. Since I've been writing this, the TESTWIN VM has dropped to an accurate ~2% CPU usage (waiting for Region selection in Setup).

Update:

Here are some additional screenshots:

Host running 'top':

Apollo2 - top.PNG

One of the Ubuntu Linux VM's (MISCVM1) hardware and options:

MISCVM1 - Hardware.PNG

MISCVM1 - Options.PNG

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
hi,

do you have cpu scaling activated in bios ? turbo boost etc. can change the frequency of your cpu, so if the windows vm needs 80% cpu the frequency ramps up causing the static cpu usage in the other vms to drop
(from pves view) from view of the vm, the frequency does not change, so if the frequency is variable you will see something like this

also be aware that for emulating the hardware, the host cpu has to do additional work, so even if your guest cpu usage is low, doing disk/network io etc. can cause the host to use cpu time

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!