CPU hot-unplug error for windows 11

junha

Sep 29, 2021
I configured hotplug for CPUs and RAM on a windows 11 VM. I am able to hot add vcpus and RAM but when I try hot unplugging vcpus on the VM, I get this error:
1635548840006.png

I enabled NUMA and hotplugging as per the wiki: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Hotplug_(qemu_disk,nic,cpu,memory)
I also added the udev rules mentioned in the wiki as well.

Here is the config for my VM:
1635549313040.png

I've also attached additional information of my proxmox configurations:
1635549396477.png

How can I get hot unplugging vcpus working on windows 11?

afaik windows does not support cpu hot unplugging...

Hi Dominik,

I've also tried it with a windows 10 VM and have the same issue, so that would make a lot of sense if windows doesn't support cpu hot unplugging.
Although I did see on the proxmox wiki that apparently windows does support cpu hot unplugging:
"Note : Windows CPU hotplug has been working since qemu 2.6 and CPU hot unplug has been working since qemu 2.7."
Can someone also verify that it isn't supported on windows?

I'm also having issues with hot removing NIC on windows 11 as well. I am able to hot add a NIC but cannot hot remove. Is this feature supported on windows?
1635877443606.png

Last edited:
I'm also having issues with hot removing NIC on windows 11 as well. I am able to hot add a NIC but cannot hot remove. Is this feature supported on windows?
this should work, can you check the syslog for hints ? (also the task log?)

Hi Dominik,

I've attached the syslog and the tasks log below. I don't seem to see anything stand out in the logs.
1635973899135.png
syslog:
1635973070611.png
task:
1635974206456.png

can you post the config of the vm?

hmm.. sorry i can't see why the hot-unplugging of the nic could fail.. is it still in the vm and active?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!