CPU cores overcommit

Paspao

Aug 1, 2017
Hello,

what does happen if we overcommit total of CPU cores assigned to VMs higher than number of cores available on host?

Does Proxmox gives any alert during assignment?

Is it the same behaviour for LXC and KVM?

In my case I have 40 cores on host and 30 LXC with 1 core. What happens if I assign 2 cores to them totalling 60?

From what I see in pct cpusets it assign the same core to multiple LXC so they share the power, is it right?

Documentation describes cpuunits and cpulimit but it would be useful to have more information on this.

Thank you
P.

Last edited:
what does happen if we overcommit total of CPU cores assigned to VMs higher than number of cores available on host?

So there are two different scenarios, the total core count of a single VM/CT cannot exceed the host available core count.
The other one can just fine, but if all VMs and/or CTs are using them you will naturally not get each virtual core to full performance, they will get scheduled to a core in alternation.
But if the VM/CT are not doing compute work, their virtual core won't produce (almost any) CPU load on the host system.

In my case I have 40 cores on host and 30 LXC with 1 core. What happens if I assign 2 cores to them totalling 60?

They can each schedule two task simultaneously, but the totaling task count running in parallel can never exceed the count of cores your host has.

Often, processes need to wait on IO (disk or network, for example) to finish, there over commitment may even get you a better total host resource usage without much "penalty".
But if all your VMs/CTs do a lot of heavy compute stuff you will generate some performance penalty, the scheduler will switch the "virtual cores" so that each gets a fair share.
This can additionally be influenced with cpuunits and -limits, as the documentation explains.

So, in conclusion, if this and how much this can/should be done depends on what your VMs/CTs do. I know setups where there are 20 times as many CT cores assigned than host cores are there, but each CT just serves an occasional website hit through static nginx websites. On the otherhand there are setups where there are even cores "left over", e.g., if one uses cpu intensive services on the host, like ceph OSDs/Monitors, or one just wants to guarantee that a VM always has the 100% of all it's assigned cores available all of the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paspao

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!