CPU bug on raid1

MeeM_Kade

Aug 3, 2024
I recently got a R730 Dell PowerEdge and a PCiE dual M.2 card for my boot drive for RAID1.
I used clover as the bootloader to get proxmox to boot since by default the R730 isn't able to boot from PCiE storage devices.
The installation process went fine, but when I booted into the server, I get this message:
Screen Shot 2024-08-30 at 11.24.01 a.m..png
Should I be worried about this? I read about it and apparently from my understanding, it allows a guest VM to access data on the host, and seeing that I plan to test some things that might have some malware in my virtual machines, I am concerned.

Also, this only happens with RAID1, as if I install proxmox on default storage settings on 1 drive, its as it should be, with no error:
Screen Shot 2024-08-28 at 8.00.34 p.m..png
Its only that with RAID1 i get the CPU bug error, so I'm not sure whats going on here.
Any support is appreciated
(PS. I used this tutorial for the clover boot method, my system has two 2699v4's, and is a dell poweredge R730 with 512GB of ram)

Last edited:
Check the system log with journalctl. Whether or not the message is shown after the login prompt is a matter of boot speed, not whether it's RAID1.
What is the output of journalctl -b 0 | grep hw-vuln? That will probably always show that warning, as long as hyper-threading is enabled.

Some people insist that the Spectre issues are not a practical threat and you should disable all mitigations because they lower performance. Other people take it seriously and let the Linux kernel and CPU firmware mitigate the CPU vulnerabilities as best as they can (which is also not always perfect).
I would suggest you disable hyper-threading/SMT because of this vulnerability and because it does not give you much performance (10-30% and without SMT each core also has more cache).

Check the system log with journalctl. Whether or not the message is shown after the login prompt is a matter of boot speed, not whether it's RAID1.
What is the output of journalctl -b 0 | grep hw-vuln? That will probably always show that warning, as long as hyper-threading is enabled.

Some people insist that the Spectre issues are not a practical threat and you should disable all mitigations because they lower performance. Other people take it seriously and let the Linux kernel and CPU firmware mitigate the CPU vulnerabilities as best as they can (which is also not always perfect).
I would suggest you disable hyper-threading/SMT because of this vulnerability and because it does not give you much performance (10-30% and without SMT each core also has more cache).
Screen Shot 2024-08-31 at 6.34.04 p.m..png
I ran the command and this is what I got, I think I'm going to disable SMT, since I care about the performance of my CPU's, does that 10-30% mean a lot?

since I care about the performance of my CPU's, does that 10-30% mean a lot?
I think hyper-threads are less than 30% of a real thread at best, but don't trust me and do your own tests with your own work-load.

Maybe investigate the vulnerabilities and find out how much Spectre mitigations cost you in performance anyway. When it was just discovered, there were many performance tests and lots of (internet) media covered this story. For example: https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=partn...8&ie=UTF-8&q=intel+mitigations&sa=Search&ref=

Hi,

I would not recommend running on RAID in this case. The error could lead to something more. You might want to connect with DELL support about this.

If you are already running on a cluster, there is actually no requirement to setup OS on RAID. At our end, we have setup many clusters without raid and running for years.

Thank you

Hi,

I would not recommend running on RAID in this case. The error could lead to something more. You might want to connect with DELL support about this.

If you are already running on a cluster, there is actually no requirement to setup OS on RAID. At our end, we have setup many clusters without raid and running for years.

Thank you
I would try to contact dell, but all they're going to tell me is that my server is out of warranty (since i bought a used one) and that I should get new warranty.
They do have a community forum, but I'm not too sure what they would say about this, I think my best bet is to turn off SMT

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!