Couple quick questions on PBS

-RYknow

Apr 2, 2017
Hey all. Just got my backup server running, and I'm enjoying PBS so far! I do have a couple questions, though.

Out of the box, how often is a scrub run on a zfs pool? I read through the documentation and didn't see it mentioned there (maybe I missed it?). I also check for anything in the crontab and didn't see it there. I can create a monthly scrub via crontab. I was just curious if this was configured somehow and I'm just not seeing it?

My second question is; I'd like to make a copy of my back-ups once a month from PBS to another server I have running (not running PBS). Is it recommended or suggested to just add an nfs share to PBS, and have a cron job for an rsync to accomplish this? Is there any potential problems with this?

Thanks for you all you guys do. I've grown to love proxmox, and I think you guys are doing an excellent job!! :)
-RYknow

Out of the box, how often is a scrub run on a zfs pool?
by default the package zfsutils-linux creates a job in /etc/cron.d/zfsutils-linux that runs on the first sunday of the month ( if i am reading it right )
ofc you can add your own cronjobs/systemd timers for scrubbing

My second question is; I'd like to make a copy of my back-ups once a month from PBS to another server I have running (not running PBS). Is it recommended or suggested to just add an nfs share to PBS, and have a cron job for an rsync to accomplish this? Is there any potential problems with this?
while that should be possible, the easiest way is probably to setup a second pbs somewhere and use the integrated sync feature where the secondary pbs can pull data from the first

by default the package zfsutils-linux creates a job in /etc/cron.d/zfsutils-linux that runs on the first sunday of the month ( if i am reading it right )
ofc you can add your own cronjobs/systemd timers for scrubbing
Perfect, I will check this out. Thanks!

while that should be possible, the easiest way is probably to setup a second pbs somewhere and use the integrated sync feature where the secondary pbs can pull data from the first
I see what your saying, and I had a feeling that would be the easiest. I was just hoping to utilize a backup server I already have setup and running to backup all sorts of other data.

Thanks,
-RYknow

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!