Could not start VM after converting .vmdk file to .qcow2 file using vmware vcenter converter.

vignesh

Feb 25, 2022
Hi,

I have followed all the steps https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE#VMware_to_Proxmox_VE_.28KVM.29 mentioned in this link, created .vmdk file of one machine using Vmware vcenter convertor and put the file into /var/lib/vz/images/105/image.qcow2 location(as i have some VMs with 100 id, put the file in 105 directory.)

When I go to this location nano /etc/pve/local/qemu-server/105.conf and try to edit ide. I get into confusion. how to edit the file,

The /var/lib/vz is mapped with local not local-lvm, Can someone help me to pass this step?

Thanks in advance.

You can edit the 105.conf file with any text editor, e.g. nano or gedit (if you prefer a GUI).

You can edit the 105.conf file with any text editor, e.g. nano or gedit (if you prefer a GUI).
Thanks for your reply,

actually what i did is just copied 100.conf file and created 105.conf file, in 105.conf how to add my .qcow2 file(i.e., converted .vmdk file)? in ide0: line https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE#VMware_to_Proxmox_VE_.28KVM.29 as per this link, have to put the name but am not clear with this complete line, local:server-image.qcow2 i tried, but no luck it is not working.

You should use scsi instead of ide.
e.g. one of mine looks like this:
Code:
scsi0: sdb:105/vm-105-disk-0.qcow2,size=104858K

if changing ide to scsi doesn't work, please share the content of 105.conf

You should use scsi instead of ide.
e.g. one of mine looks like this:
Code:
scsi0: sdb:105/vm-105-disk-0.qcow2,size=104858K

if changing ide to scsi doesn't work, please share the content of 105.conf
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried changing the 105.conf file as below, but please note that I've created this 105.conf file from 100.conf file by copying the file and renamed it as 105.conf and modified some steps.

boot: order=scsi0
cores: 2
memory: 7168
meta: creation-qemu=6.1.0,ctime=1644410618
name: PC3
net0: virtio=EA:3C:03:24:4A:E5,bridge=vmbr1,firewall=1
net2: virtio=22:91:AF:3C:E2:47,bridge=vmbr1,firewall=1
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: l26
scsi0: local:pC3.qcow2,size=100G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=6f409c20-e128-4266-8dee-60727f6bf63a
sockets: 1
vmgenid: 5fe39449-b4cb-4d9b-b42f-1c271093f65c

boot: order=scsi0;net0
cores: 4
memory: 16048
meta: creation-qemu=6.1.0,ctime=1644410618
name: win-ser
net0: virtio=EA:3C:03:24:4A:E5,bridge=vmbr1,firewall=1
net1: rtl8139=16:B9:92:64:D2:66,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
scsi0: local-lvm:vm-100-disk-0,size=200G
smbios1: uuid=6f409c20-e128-4266-8dee-60727f6bf63a
sockets: 2
unused0: local-lvm:vm-100-disk-1
vmgenid: 5fe39449-b4cb-4d9b-b42f-1c271093f65c

As I've copied 100.conf file and renamed it as 105.conf, some smbios1 and vmgenid of 100 and 105 are identical, just changed .qcow2 file(which is located in local[not local-lvm] /var/lib/viz directory).

Please let me know what are the steps are wrong in 105.conf file

Thanks.

Do you get an error message? If yes, what is it?

Also, try creating a new (working) VM and using the command
Code:
qm importdisk <vmid> <source path> <storage>

Last edited:
Not received any error, not even image is not even booting.
Failed to connect to server.
that's just a symptom of the VM not starting ;)

could you try starting the VM on the interface, and post the output of the task log here? (double click the failed start job at the bottom and paste the contents here)

about this:
is that qcow2 file located at the correct directory? find / -name pC3.qcow2 2>/dev/null would give you the path where it's located.
(you can use code tags when posting here, for better readability)

also are you sure the disk file is converted to qcow2? please check with qemu-img info /path/to/that/disk

and please post the output:
* cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg

ideally you just remove the whole 105.conf and the directories you created for it, and make a new VM from scratch [0] like @Matthias. suggested at his earlier post.
then use qm importdisk command to import your old disk into it. something like qm importdisk 999 /path/to/your/old.vmdk local should work.

hope this helps!

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Windows_10_guest_best_practices

that's just a symptom of the VM not starting ;)

could you try starting the VM on the interface, and post the output of the task log here? (double click the failed start job at the bottom and paste the contents here)

about this:
is that qcow2 file located at the correct directory? find / -name pC3.qcow2 2>/dev/null would give you the path where it's located.
(you can use code tags when posting here, for better readability)

also are you sure the disk file is converted to qcow2? please check with qemu-img info /path/to/that/disk

and please post the output:
* cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg

ideally you just remove the whole 105.conf and the directories you created for it, and make a new VM from scratch [0] like @Matthias. suggested at his earlier post.
then use qm importdisk command to import your old disk into it. something like qm importdisk 999 /path/to/your/old.vmdk local should work.

hope this helps!

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Windows_10_guest_best_practices
Hi,

Tried removing the 105.conf file and 105 VM, then created new VM as per the link [0].

Now getting "Failed to run vncproxy"

Below are the details:

pwd : /var/../../../105/

cmd :qemu-img info PC3.qcow2

Output :
image: PC3.qcow2
file format: qcow2
virtual size: 112 GiB (120087117824 bytes)
disk size: 78.9 GiB
cluster_size: 65536
Format specific information:
compat: 1.1
compression type: zlib
lazy refcounts: false
refcount bits: 16
corrupt: false
extended l2: false

cmd : cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg

Output :
dir: local
path /var/../vz
content rootdir,iso,vztmpl,backup,snippets,images
shared 0
lvmthin: local-lvm
thinpool data
vgname xyz
content rootdir,images
dir: sh
path /mnt/xyz/sh
content rootdir,iso,images,vztmpl,snippets,backup
is_mountpoint 1
nodes xyz
shared 0

Error: failed to run vncproxy

cmd : cat 105.conf

Output:
agent: 1
boot: order=scsi0;ide2;net0
cores: 2
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 7168
meta: creation-qemu=6.1.0,ctime=1646134118
name: PC3
net0: virtio=D2:BD:FD:09:73:3C,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
onboot: 1
scsi0: sh:105/PC3.qcow2,size=85G
smbios1: uuid=5be218f4-bf08-48f7-8fbe-4ba007e15fe1
sockets: 1
vmgenid: f7dc885d-0475-4521-9d57-862a831ec97c

Now getting "Failed to run vncproxy"
also a symptom of the VM not starting, please do the following:
you could also run qm start 105 and paste the error output here.

Output :
image: PC3.qcow2
file format: qcow2
looks fine

then created new VM as per the link
have you used the qm importdisk command as suggested in the previous post?

Hi oguz,

Now VM's trying to boot but getting below error, Advance option by giving F8, When enter using Command prompt by adding one Win 10 iso image, seems there are no other disks is showing apart from CD drive i.e., the PC3.qcow2 drive is not showing.

pc3.png

seems there are no other disks is showing apart from CD drive i.e., the PC3.qcow2 drive is not showing.
probably because the qcow disk is added as a scsi drive (according to your config from above post), win10 can't recognize those without the virtio drivers [0]. you can try swapping it to ide but it's recommended to install the drivers for scsi since you'll get better performance from that.

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Windows_VirtIO_Drivers

probably because the qcow disk is added as a scsi drive (according to your config from above post), win10 can't recognize those without the virtio drivers [0]. you can try swapping it to ide but it's recommended to install the drivers for scsi since you'll get better performance from that.

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Windows_VirtIO_Drivers
In this scenerio, i could not even login, only that windows Logo is loading, after that Getting error as i mentioned in my previos post.

Only if i can able to login, i can able to install SCSI drivers as you mentioned in [0].

Don't know where it got stucked, actually the physical machine which I converted into .vmdk file is using SSD.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!