Correct procedure for replacing a zpool on specific nodes?

Pyromancer

Jan 25, 2021
Summary: I need to know how to remove a zpool from one machine in a cluster while leaving it on the others.

I have a three node cluster, of two matching main servers (M1 and M2) and a third smaller (S3) machine which provides the third vote for failover and hosts a limited range of VMs. Each of the two main machines has two ZFS pools, /tank1 and /tank2, both of which fully replicate between the two machines, with HA enabled on the VMs for failover (in a group of just M1 and M2, as S3 doesn't have the capacity).

But the /tank2 pools on M1 and M2 are tiny and need to be entirely replaced. I know under ZFS I could just swap the disks out one by one and it's auto-grow to the new sizes, but we also want to change the whole setup of the pool, replace with an all-new pool with a different layout.

Currently the /tank2 pools are 7 x 500 gig SSDs, 5 of them in RaidZ1 and two hot spares. The reasons for this are historic, originally there were only 5 disks, but after a few failures we added the spares in empty slots as insurance.

We want to abolish this and replace it with a new pool, 7 x 4TB SSDs in RaidZ2, with cold spares stored in the rack for rapid deployment. At the same time I'm upgrading the servers' memory, doubling it on each - so the first machine will be being fully shut down, and the disk changes can be done while it's off-line.

In preparation for upgrading M2, which we're doing first, all the VMs have been migrated to M1, and replication has been turned off for the few that used the old /tank2 partition. Now I want to remove /tank2 from M2, but leave it in place on M1.

What is the correct procedure for removing /tank2 from M2, without affecting it on M1?

From reading other thread especially https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/correct-procedure-for-zpool-removal.106203/ I gather there's a "deactivate", then "remove", then destroy the zpool, but I can't see those options when I look at the menus for the storage on the specific hosts, and in Datacentre there's just the one entry for each pool.

All the VMs are backed up to a separate backup host so we have protection but I don't want to accidentally nuke /tank2 on M1 until M2 is back up and running with its new pool and new memory.

I realise I could just nuke the zpool from the command line on the host in question to remove it, but would rather not mess up the Proxmox config.

Aside: Should I bring the new pool up as a new /tank2, or as it's all-new would it be better to bring it up as /tank3, and if so, how do I then get the /tank2 VMs on M1 moved over to it on M2 so I can then replace /tank2 on M1 when it's turn to be upgraded comes?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!