corosync prioritization

guletz

Famous Member
Apr 19, 2017
Brasov, Romania
Hi to all,

Because I have some troubles with corosync traffic in the backup time of my VM, I think that I could do some kind of prioritization of corosync traffic using DSCP. All my switches can do DSCP, and I guess that also the Proxmox kernel/iptables can do that.
In the end I will hope that any corosync traffic to be improved (for latency point of view).

My question for is that kind of setup was make by any others Proxmox users, and maybe someone have some experience with this.
As a side note, I know that for ospf traffic, linux kernel know to use by default DSCP. In my humble opinion I think that the same it will be nice also for corosync / Proxmox.

Thx. in advance for any ideea about this subject.

Hi,

I think the best and easiest solution is to separate the networks physically.

Goodbye. Cancella gli explain how?

Bon jorno,

I guess you ask how I do it. In my case I make backup of my VMs using 2 different tools (be wary then sorry ), zfs send/recive and old rsync.
On the each node I mark corosync traffic with a higher DSCP priority compared with rsync(iptables). All my network switches are also DSCP capable.
After that, I do not see any messages who tell that corosync was lost the communication with the rest of the Proxmox nodes.

Ciao ;)

Hi,

Are you using iptables/netfilter to do it ?
What kind of rules you created ?

Thanks,

.... like this?

$IPT -t mangle -N dscp-mark48
$IPT -t mangle -A dscp-mark48 -j DSCP --set-dscp 48
$IPT -t mangle -A PREROUTING -p udp -m udp --dport 5404:5405 -j dscp-mark48
$IPT -t mangle -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 5404:5405 -j dscp-mark48
$IPT -t mangle -A OUTPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 5404:5405 -j dscp-mark48

Reactions: lucius_the

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!