[SOLVED] Copy containers?

Xabierland

Apr 12, 2024
Spain
www.xabierland.com
I have had some issues with 2FA and I would like to reinstall Proxmox because I ended up messing up the web interface while tinkering without proper setup.

I have SSH access to both nodes, and I would like to transfer two of my containers to another computer, preferably via SCP, and once everything is reinstalled, copy them back.

I was thinking of generating a vzdump and copying it to my personal computer while I do the Proxmox installation, but I am not sure if this would be sufficient.

Is this possible? Which files should I copy? Is this the best way to do it?

I would appreciate some help.

Thank you very much in advance.

Hi,

Do you want to disable the 2FA? If yes - you can delete the TFA using CLI as the following command:

Bash:
pvesh delete /access/tfa/foo@bar/cbebf4e6-e191-457e-a3da-xxxxxx

If you want to make a backup and re-install the Promxox VE you can sure use SCP for the vzdump file of the VMs/LXCs to your external storage.

Hi,

Do you want to disable the 2FA? If yes - you can delete the TFA using CLI as the following command:

Bash:
pvesh delete /access/tfa/foo@bar/cbebf4e6-e191-457e-a3da-xxxxxx

If you want to make a backup and re-install the Promxox VE you can sure use SCP for the vzdump file of the VMs/LXCs to your external storage.
I have already deactivated 2FA, but I also had both nodes in a cluster, and at first, I thought it could be a quorum failure. I manually deactivated them as shown in an official tutorial, but now I can't recreate the cluster. That's why I decided to reinstall Proxmox. Additionally, I had a few more configurations done incorrectly and hastily, so I prefer to start over with what I've learned so far and do things right from the beginning.

That said, what I'm looking for is the best way to transfer two of my containers, the most important ones, in the most correct and simple way. So far, I have generated two vzdump backups and copied them with scp. My question is whether it is enough, after reinstalling, to copy the vzdump files back into /var/lib/vz/dump/, or if I need to perform any additional operations like copying the .conf files from /etc/pve/lxc.

Best regards.

No, only copy back `.tar.zst` the backup files and then from the Web UI you can restart the containers.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!