Copy backups to external drive

May 6, 2021
Hi All,

I'm looking for a way to copy backups from our ZFS datastore and onto an external drive so that we can send it off site for our offsite DR backups, i tried just copying the files but then PMBS doesn't recognize them as a backup when we try to re-import them.

Anyone have any ideas how would be best to do what we need?

Thanks.

Hi, the easiest way of doing that would be to create a Sync Job to a Remote (that is not actually a remote, let me explain).
You can do offsite-copies to other PBS Servers with the "Sync Job" feature for datastores. In this case we want to sync not to a different PBS server, but to our same server with a different (external) drive.

To do this, create a "Remote" in Configuration->Remotes that points to localhost. Then create a datastore on your external HDD, click on that newly created Datastore, go to "Sync Jobs", create a new sync job, choose the "Source Remote" you just created earlier that points to localhost and set "Source Datastore" to the Datastore you want to copy to that external drive.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!