Converted Hardware Raid Windows 2003 to Proxmox

Hello

Been having a fun time with this p2v to proxmox.

I have tried everything in the wiki as well as the forum to get this image to work so far i can only load it in vmware workstation with no issues. But when i try to load it in proxmox latest version it give me the drivers issue for the disk. I have installed the registry file as well as uninstalled all the old hardware drivers. Still having a issue any help would be great.

I've had P2V success using the VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Client. It's a free tool. It runs on the server and creates an image of the system. Once it's complete, you move the .vmdk file to Proxmox and use the command qemu-img convert -f vmdk 'image-name'.vmdk -O qcow2 'image-name'.qcow2
Create a new VM with similar specifications as the old physical system.
Move the newly created qcow2 file to the standard location for your vm. Default location in Proxmox 2.1 is /var/lib/vz/images/vmID#/
Once converted, go to the .conf file for the virtual machine (on Proxmox 2.1, it's /etc/pve/local/qemu-server) and manually remove the empty hard drive that was created when you set up the new VM and add your new qcow2 disk.
Example:
Change this line:
ide0: local:114/vm-114-disk-1.raw
To something like this:
ide0: local:114/windows-server.qcow2

Start your VM. Hopefully this works!

I have tried that solution as well.. I did find a fix finally. Once the image is created with vmware converter you need to load the image in vmware workstation or vmware player, I used workstation, once in there the system booted with no issues I removed all the old drivers and rebooted to make sure its working then transfered the image to proxmox and it works. 1 extra step i had to take to get the image to work with proxmox but what i don't understand is why would i require booting to vmware first to remove the hardware as i thought proxmox should be able to load vmdk. seems like proxmox still needs to get somethings working.:cool:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!