Convert XFS-LVM to ZFS Raid-1 ROOT?

cloudguy

Renowned Member
Jan 4, 2012
Hello.. I have a PVE 6.1 cluster with ceph. Presently the OS / Boot disk is deployed via LVM / XFS. We want to move towards a ZFS RAID-1 ROOT disk configuration.

• Is there a procedure to migrate (could be offline) a host from XFS / LVM to ZFS RAID 1 without redeploying PVE?
    • I imagine redeployment would generally mean removing+rejoining node to cluster, as well as rebuilding OSDs.

• If the nodes (one-by one) are reinstalled using ZFS RAID 1 ROOT, rejoined to cluster, and ceph monitor+manager+metadata redeployed, is there a method to "reattach" OSDs to the cluster -- e.g. Ceph-volume activate?
    • Would like to avoid cluster from rebuilding OSDs whose data is intact.
I realize the above is a bit of surgery. #1 is a Proxmox specific question, #2 is more ceph centric. Curious what others may have done.

Thanks.

A procedure as in written form that you can just follow? I don't think so, but it should be doable without any problems.

I'd approach like this:
- create a vm or use other hardware to test the migration
- bootup the new machine with a LiveSystem that is ZFS capable and create the pool (e.g. like this)
- copy files over the files from the production server
- try-and-fix loop until all potential problems are gone
- you should have a procedure and go on to the real nodes

If you want to improve your procedure, try on a real node (move all VMs away and exclude the node in HA) over and over again after creating a 1:1 backup of your-disk, so that you can play with the node, restore and still have a working node.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!