Convert to template and linked clone

subafr

Jan 28, 2020
Hello everybody, i have one question, I would like to have a behavior like nutanix.

This is the story:
- Create a linked clone without to have to convert to template or with a conversion without downtime.

In nutanix when you create a VM snapshot, you don"t have to convert to template, you can create a snapshot VM without have a downtime.

We need that to create development environment, I have my original VM in production, if I want to create a new dev environment, i need to convert to template and after create two linked clone ( one production, one dev ). This only can be done with downtime in production :(

Ideally, we need to have like nutanix, transparent snapshot, I have a VM and I create a snapshot without interrupting my original VM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB2R7LLX_f0

Thanks for your responses.

This is the story:
- Create a linked clone without to have to convert to template or with a conversion without downtime.

For now, you can do a full clone without downtime, but I assume this can be enhanced.

Full clone need a lot of disk space, but at least i'm fixed on this behavior, nutanix snaphot is really powerfull.

Full clone need a lot of disk space, but at least i'm fixed on this behavior, nutanix snaphot is really powerfull.

You can work with templates and linked clones. Properly planned, you got more or less the same with Proxmox VE, you just have to create a template first (one click ...).

Yes but converting to template, need to down the VM ;-) And boot production to a linked clone after.
It might be nothing but its easier to manage, no downtime planification. The number of click isn't the problem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!