Convert LVM to LVM-thin

rolfb

Jan 4, 2022
Netherlands
Hi all,

I've searched this forum, but found no complete answer to my need for help...
I'm rather new to proxmox, and do not have a big understanding of LVM etc. (I'm a partition-era guy)

My new install of proxmox has 2 disks: 1 SSD for root (with proxmox on it), one bigger NVME for VM's.
On first install the bigger disk was configured as LVM, but on learning and trying, I find out that for snapshots it needs to be LVM-thin.
So I want to convert the bigger disk to LVM-thin.
Fortunately, at this stage I have enough disk-space to move all content to the smaller disk, so the NVME is now empty.

TL:DR Can someone please guide me in the gui how to proceed. Do I need to wipe a disk, remove a device/partition, destroy NVME? All is scary sh*t when not exactly knowing what to do...
Just pressing 'Create thinpool' draws an error ' no disks unused' ...

Thanks,
Rolf

2022-01-26_16-17.png2022-01-26_16-17_1.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikotine
a) please verify and make sure you really don't have any data left on /dev/nvme0n1!! (since the steps will destroy everything on it)
b) select /dev/nve0n1 in the Disks menu and click 'Wipe Disk'
c) create a LVM-Thin (you now should have the nvme selectable)

I hope this helps!

Yes, that did the trick, thx. (And I suppose I can delete nvme type LVM from the storage menu in DC-view)?

However, that opens a new question:
I was under the impression that when converting to LVM-thin, I was able to restore/move disk a VM using the qcow2 format. (necessary for taking snapshots)
However, that is still greyed out when I try to move disk from local to the newly created LVM-thin...
Did I do something wrong, do I have to change anything further, or is my assumption wrong (that when using LVM-thin snapshots for a VM shouldbe possible)?

2022-01-26_17-08.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!