Continuously receiving SMART alerts for discontinued hard drives.

wxbeva

Sep 20, 2024
I have encountered a problem where the decommissioned hard drive keeps receiving SMART alerts repeatedly.
My PVE version is 8.2.4 and I am using DELL R750 hardware.
Hard drives 0 and 1 are 1TB SSDs used for the OS installation of PVE.
Hard drives 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 are 4TB mechanical drives configured in RAID5 using a DELL RAID card, and one of them is assigned as RDM to a VM.
Due to the need for data disk expansion, I shut down the VM and deleted the RAID configuration in DELL IDRAC. Then I installed 6 new 12TB hard drives and configured them in RAID5, assigning them to the VM.
However, since I reconfigured the system, I have been receiving SMART alerts from PVE every day, indicating that the old hard drives are missing. Here is an example:
1726799831807.png
Please advise on how to resolve this issue and stop receiving these outdated alerts.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!