Container set hostname per interface?

nathanc1

Sep 9, 2020
Hello all. I'm not sure if I am confused by general dhcp behavior or this a proxmox/container specific behavior, but I thought I'd ask here as I seem to be at an impasse.

Context of the problem:

I wish to use a container (debian buster) to simulate a system that is connected to multiple physical networks, let us say 3, using 3 interfaces and vlan tags instead of physical networks. I used the gui to create the container, adding each interface/vlan manually.

My dhcp server is setup to serve a different address range on each vlan, all within the subnet, i.e. vlanid1 gets 192.168.2.xxx, vlanid2 gets 192.168.3.xxx, ...

If I start the container, indeed, I can see dhcp leases on every range for the container, each having the same host name. This obviously causes problems trying to specify connections from other systems using hostname/dns.

So the problem is: How do I assign a different hostname per interface? I do not see an option on the gui to specify this, nor in the pct tool.

Possible answer 1:
Edit /etc/network/interfaces and add a hostname option to the dhcp method.
Observation:
It seems on reboot that the container's interfaces file get overwritten back to original without the hostname option.

Possible answer 2:
Edit /etc/network/interfaces to include a source line pointing to interfaces.d, add the hostname options there.
Observation:
The source line seems to survive reboot, but didn't seem to change anything. What I put in each stanza file is:

auto <interface name>
iface <interface name> inet dhcp
hostname <desired hostname>

Possibly this is not the correct stanza?

Possible answer 3:
Edit /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf to specify a hostname for each interface.
Observation:
This partially worked, as I can see the different hostnames on each subnet, but it seems to get called once for every interface, and I wind up with duplicate leases, in this case 3x.

Here are the directives I placed in dhclient.conf (and I commented out the general send host-name = gethostname()):

interface "public" {
send host-name = gethostname();
}

interface "data" {
send host-name = concat(gethostname(), "-data");
}

interface "control" {
send host-name = concat(gethostname(), "-control");
}

Looking through the dhclient manpages I can't seem to find a way to 'skip' a directive if the interface is already assigned, but perhaps I just haven't deciphered it yet.

If anyone has any ideas thanks in advance. Perhaps I have gone down the wrong path or it is beyond the scope of containers and I will have to simulate the networks with some other method.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!