Container default time zone settings?

Giovanni

Renowned Member
Apr 1, 2009
Hi,

Is there a global system setting/default that would set the container's timezone to be the same across all containers?

I created a few containers and just noticed all time is set to UTC, I changed /etc/timezone file and rebooted but this did not seem to do the trick as date shows UTC time?

Code:
root@couchpotato:~# cat /etc/timezone
America/Los_Angeles
root@couchpotato:~# date
Thu Jun 29 07:19:49 UTC 2017

This is the parent node, its settings are correct there...
Code:
root@pve:~# date
Thu Jun 29 00:23:45 PDT 2017
root@pve:~# cat /etc/timezone
America/Los_Angeles

Thanks

Reactions: Zaman
Normally, you need to change it "correctly", so please have a look at your operating system handbook. On Debian-based system, a simple

Code:
dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

should be sufficient.
If you want to do it manually, you have to do something similar to this:

Code:
ln -fs /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Los_Angeles /etc/localtime

Normally, you need to change it "correctly", so please have a look at your operating system handbook. On Debian-based system, a simple

Code:
dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

should be sufficient.
If you want to do it manually, you have to do something similar to this:

Code:
ln -fs /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Los_Angeles /etc/localtime

Thanks for the pointer.

So the only question that remains is that container time zone settings is totally dependent on the template used and there is no setting in proxmox that could be used to set a default to all?

So the only question that remains is that container time zone settings is totally dependent on the template used and there is no setting in proxmox that could be used to set a default to all?

Currently, there is no option to set the timezone.

Personally, I have created my own templates (simple unpack the tar-ball, fix things, repack tar-ball) with a changed timezone and local mirror. Maybe this is also the way to go for you?

Thanks, this is probably the best way to go.

Currently, there is no option to set the timezone.

Personally, I have created my own templates (simple unpack the tar-ball, fix things, repack tar-ball) with a changed timezone and local mirror. Maybe this is also the way to go for you?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!