Container backup skips volume mount point even with backup=1

Colin 't Hart

Jan 20, 2017
Frösön, Sweden
www.hiawathaavenue.com
Hi,

I'm using Proxmox as my development workstation, doing my development inside various LXC containers. These are configured with a small root disk to which I usually add a larger mount point mounted on /home for all my data -- the idea being I can copy these and/or attach these to new containers with new OS versions.

All volumes are stored in LVM thin pools, in case that's relevant. (We had bad experience with ZFS storage underneath virtual machines with lots of small files so we've stuck to LVM which works well for us).

Since Proxmox Backup Server came out I've been meaning to set it up on another machine to store backups of my containers.

But when I do a backup of my development containers, only the root disk gets backed up. The /home mount point does not -- even though backup is enabled on it.

According to the documentation this should work: "By default additional mount points besides the Root Disk mount point are not included in backups. For volume mount points you can set the Backup option to include the mount point in the backup."

Or am I reading this wrong? Doing something wrong?

As it's working now, this backup is useless to me -- the root partition is relatively static -- it's my development work that I want to backup every night so I don't lose my work if my disk crashes.

Many thanks,

Colin

Hi,

I'm using Proxmox as my development workstation, doing my development inside various LXC containers. These are configured with a small root disk to which I usually add a larger mount point mounted on /home for all my data -- the idea being I can copy these and/or attach these to new containers with new OS versions.

All volumes are stored in LVM thin pools, in case that's relevant. (We had bad experience with ZFS storage underneath virtual machines with lots of small files so we've stuck to LVM which works well for us).

Since Proxmox Backup Server came out I've been meaning to set it up on another machine to store backups of my containers.

But when I do a backup of my development containers, only the root disk gets backed up. The /home mount point does not -- even though backup is enabled on it.

According to the documentation this should work: "By default additional mount points besides the Root Disk mount point are not included in backups. For volume mount points you can set the Backup option to include the mount point in the backup."

Or am I reading this wrong? Doing something wrong?

As it's working now, this backup is useless to me -- the root partition is relatively static -- it's my development work that I want to backup every night so I don't lose my work if my disk crashes.

Many thanks,

Colin
can you please share the backup command you are using?

Oops!

It turns out it is working. It has just saved all the files into one tree rather than two as I expected.

Below you can see the output from the backup process -- I don't submit a backup command but have done everything through the GUI.

Code:
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 105 --mode snapshot --storage backup --remove 0 --node quokka
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 105 (lxc)
INFO: Backup started at 2021-01-28 16:23:59
INFO: status = stopped
INFO: backup mode: stop
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: CT Name: bandicoot
INFO: including mount point rootfs ('/') in backup
INFO: including mount point mp0 ('/home') in backup
INFO: creating Proxmox Backup Server archive 'ct/105/2021-01-28T15:23:59Z'
INFO: run: lxc-usernsexec -m u:0:100000:65536 -m g:0:100000:65536 -- /usr/bin/proxmox-backup-client backup --crypt-mode=none pct.conf:/var/tmp/vzdumptmp1561724_105/etc/vzdump/pct.conf root.pxar:/mnt/vzsnap0 --include-dev /mnt/vzsnap0/./ --include-dev /mnt/vzsnap0/./home --skip-lost-and-found --exclude=/tmp/?* --exclude=/var/tmp/?* --exclude=/var/run/?*.pid --backup-type ct --backup-id 105 --backup-time 1611847439 --repository backup@pbs@quoll:backup
INFO: Starting backup: ct/105/2021-01-28T15:23:59Z
INFO: Client name: quokka
INFO: Starting backup protocol: Thu Jan 28 16:24:00 2021
INFO: Downloading previous manifest (Thu Jan 28 16:03:13 2021)
INFO: Upload config file '/var/tmp/vzdumptmp1561724_105/etc/vzdump/pct.conf' to 'backup@pbs@quoll:8007:backup' as pct.conf.blob
INFO: Upload directory '/mnt/vzsnap0' to 'backup@pbs@quoll:8007:backup' as root.pxar.didx
INFO: root.pxar: had to upload 93.74 MiB of 7.63 GiB in 188.80s, average speed 508.41 KiB/s).
INFO: root.pxar: backup was done incrementally, reused 7.54 GiB (98.8%)
INFO: Uploaded backup catalog (3.40 MiB)
INFO: Duration: 188.86s
INFO: End Time: Thu Jan 28 16:27:08 2021
INFO: Finished Backup of VM 105 (00:03:11)
INFO: Backup finished at 2021-01-28 16:27:10
INFO: Backup job finished successfully
TASK OK

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!