Consumer SSDs

Ronny

Sep 12, 2017
Hi there,

we have 15 Consumer Samsung 1TB SSDs (850 and 860 Pro) and dont know how we can use it as well.

I tested these SSDs on our 7-Node Cluster in CEPH (3 Nodes got 5 SSDs) and on all 3 nodes the io-delay runs high.
my test was to move some VM-Harddisks to this Customer_SSD_Pool, start 3 VMs on it and run some dd write benchmarks.
normaly we have 0.1 -> 0.4 IO-Delay over all Hosts. on my tests the 3 nodes have 4-6% io-delay.

by the way: our enterprise SSDs and SAS drives do not make any io-delay on write-load :)

In this knowledge i dont want to run our production VMs (~300 over the whole cluster) with this.

but what can i do? can i use this SSDs in an low-speed-Pool without io-delay?
to use it on ceph-fs for backups...

any suggestions?

regards
Ronny

your idea to use them for non intense workload is problay a good idea
definaly dont use them for Block storeage on VM they will wear out too quicly as well in that case

thanks for your answer
yes, i think so too - no block storage on it.
we had this SSDs on a OpenFiler NAS an with ISCSI connected to PRX-Cluster. Performance bad and high io-delay also...

so how can i use it for my cluster? build an OpenNAS and share NFS?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!