Consultation on "SCSI controller type"

cesarpk

Mar 31, 2012
Hello to all

I would like to ask a few questions, I have found a few options in PROXMOX GUI to "SCSI Controller type":

1- Default (lsi)
2- LSI 53C895A
3- MegaRAID SAS 8708EM2
4- VIRTIO

And I would like to know when should each be used? (Google not help me)
I am used to the traditional "Virtio" without using the option "scsihw" of QEMU, so it would be very important to me to know about his performance for each in comparison to the traditional disk access "Virtio".

I would appreciate greatly who can discipar my doubts

Best regards
Cesar

Reactions: guptas15 and chrone
For now I would use virtio disks as before.

The SCSI controller type only matters when you use SCSI disks. Option 3 and 4 are newer controllers, and needs reasonable new driver, which is not available on all OS.

Reactions: chrone
For now I would use virtio disks as before.

The SCSI controller type only matters when you use SCSI disks. Option 3 and 4 are newer controllers, and needs reasonable new driver, which is not available on all OS.

Hi Dietmar and thanks for your prompt response, but you have not explained to me what are the virtues that have these options?. And i know that these options are for linux kernel 3.4 or Win 7/2008r2 with driver virtio-scsi.

Best regards
Cesar

if you want to dig deeper, also check http://wiki.qemu.org/ChangeLog/1.2

Hi Dietmar and thanks for your prompt response :p , I read everything on that link

Please let me to do one question, I have the latest versions of virtio drivers for Windows systems (virtio-win-prewhql-0.1-39.iso version), so i need to know if virtio-scsi with these windows systems will be stable for use on production enviroments?

Waiting for your prompt reply I say goodbye

Best regards
Cesar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!