Consolidating Freenas from Bare metal to Proxmox VM

Snowman001

Oct 1, 2019
HI All,

I have searched the forums and find details of freenas but not in a VM.
I currenly use Proxmox on a physical server & have about 5 VM's at this point in time. I also have freenas installed on a very bad MB but in a chassis with many drives. I have a better CPU / MB to put in the freenas chassis so would like to consolidate both the servers into a single.

I am not worried about reinstalling proxmon on the new system (MB/New SSD) and migrating the LXC's. This would just be on a new SSD.

I am worried about how i would install freenas on the VM. I dont understand how it would work.

Do i need to somehow pass thought he 2 x PCIE SAS HBA (connected to the big drives) to the freenas VM which contains ZFS pools already ?

Can this be done or should it not be done, are there any guides here? The key is of course i want to protect my drive array!

Regrads
PAul

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!