Console Welcome Message points to the IP used during installation

vcp_ai

Renowned Member
Jul 28, 2010
Valencia -Spain-
Hi, when I installed server, it got the IP addres from DHCP server.

First thing after installation was to change it to a static IP.

System works correctly.

However the welcome message after boot on console:
"Welcome to the Proxmox Virtual ...... use your web browser to .... " keeps pointing to the old DHCP IP.

I've traced it to the pvebanner script, but I can not understand function:
Code:
my $localip = PVE::Cluster::remote_node_ip($nodename, 1);

Could you tell me how to change it ?
Of course it is just a 'cosmetic' question.

Regards

I just fixed this for myself. You can fix it by editing /etc/hosts and correcting the line about your local host (usually the 2nd line).

Don't worry, you're not alone in not realizing that it was the problem... I didn't realize for a long time, too, and finally figured it out after tracing the code :)

Wow, 10 years later and this issue still happens - switched my PVE from the install IP to its final IP and although everything was working, this welcome was still wrong and bugged me. Hardest part was finding this thread as the word "welcome" is too frequent for the search system - but Google was my friend.

Wow, 10 years later and this issue still happens - switched my PVE from the install IP to its final IP and although everything was working,
/etc/hosts is essential part of Linux networking. You were bound to run into issues later if that file was wrong.
Its actually a great thing that this message is shown - its an indication for the admin that the system's IP was not changed fully/properly.

The top 3 articles for search query "proxmox documentation ip change" all reference updating /etc/hosts as well.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: Taomyn

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!