Console does not work with macOS Sonoma

I'm running into roadblocks with Ventura/Sonoma as well. Monterey works fine.

I can install Ventrua/Sonoma from scratch, or upgrade Monterey, and the process completes. But first boot-up fails and it gets stuck in a boot loop with a generic "Your computer was restarted due to an error." message. Likely a hardware-related error.

Here's what works for Monterey:
Code:
-smbios type=2 -device usb-kbd,bus=ehci.0,port=2 -device usb-mouse,bus=ehci.0,port=3 -cpu host,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,+hypervisor,+invtsc -global ICH9-LPC.acpi-pci-hotplug-with-bridge-support=off

I am not passing-thru any devices or anything beyond a default functional VM.

I've tried several combinations of the suggestions in this topic and cannot get past the boot-loop on first startup for Ventura/Sonoma. I've also tried adjusting CPU type to Haswell / Haswell-NoTSX. Maybe someone can provide correct parameters that work for these newer versions, or point me in the right direction.

Last edited:
I hate working blind, so I edited the config.plist to enable verbose debugging for Sonoma.

Here's a screenshot of the debug messages:

sonoma-boot-debug.png

Here's a brief listing of errors/exceptions that may be the cause of the boot-loop:
Code:
ACPI Error: Namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND
ACPI Exception: AE_NOT_FOUND, during lookup/catalog
ACPI Exception: AE_NOT_FOUND, (SSDT: QEMUUSB) while loading table
ACPI Error: 1 table load failure

Strangely, it keeps going after those errors/exceptions but comes to complete halt at:
Code:
ACM: Env_SetDataProvider: data provider *set* for var[22].

Searching for similar ACPI errors/exceptions has shown that they typically do not prevent the system from booting, and often have to do with unfixable BIOS issues (which should be OVMF (UEFI) in this case if I'm not mistaken).

Here's the current VM config file:
Code:
agent: 1
args: -device isa-applesmc,osk="<OSK-STRING>" -smbios type=2 -device qemu-xhci -device usb-kbd -device usb-tablet -global nec-usb-xhci.msi=off -global ICH9-LPC.acpi-pci-hotplug-with-bridge-support=off -cpu host,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc,+hypervisor,kvm=on,vmware-cpuid-freq=on
balloon: 0
bios: ovmf
boot: order=virtio0
cores: 4
cpu: host
efidisk0: data:247/vm-247-disk-0.raw,size=128K
machine: q35
memory: 8196
meta: creation-qemu=8.1.5,ctime=1715268855
name: macos14
net0: vmxnet3=BC:24:11:4D:AB:BB,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
onboot: 0
ostype: other
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=f0b8703c-2e3f-4504-bbea-6830de8d49c3
sockets: 1
tablet: 1
vga: vmware
virtio0: data:247/vm-247-disk-1.raw,cache=unsafe,discard=on,size=64G
vmgenid: ab369cc4-e49b-4370-acbb-e5de1775a44f

Please help me if you can! Thanks in advance! :cool:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!