Consistency of multi-VM Snapshots

aurelienc

Dec 9, 2014
Hello!

I am considering moving towards a cluster of proxmox servers.
The idea is to have dedicated servers for:
- the web server & app server itself
- one for each DB servers (we use mysql & mongo)

Before doing so I would like to make sure:
Is there is a way to trigger snapshots simultaneously on several VM ensuring that they are in a consistent state (one compared to the other) and knowing that they are not physically on the same server?

I would need to make absolutely sure that mysql & mongo are as consistent as possible one with the other at their store data that is "connected" together by the web/app server.

I tried to find something already existing on the forum but let me know if I missed something!

Thanks!

Aurelien

If i understand you correctly you would like to use 3 Proxmox servers with the first having 2 VMs (web &app) and the second and third node as a host for a DB server each?
The most consistent state you could achieve with the built-in backup, is to create backup jobs for each VM individually starting at exactly the same time.

Other than that you would have to script your own backup routine.

I think that maybe your looking in the wrong direction at this.

Both these databases support real time replication of data so a better approach would be to build secondary server containers on an alternative server and have these collect backups in real time - so you always have x2 copies of live data.

Then - if you want an exact point-in-time consistent backup - temporary shutdown your secondary mongo/mysql servers (note live system will continue to run) and back them up - then once backed up restart them and within a short time they will catch up with live once more.

This is a simplified technique to an automated system we are using with our in-house developed systems at Cyberco Ltd and it works very effectively.

Hope this helps

Mark.

Hello!

I am considering moving towards a cluster of proxmox servers.
The idea is to have dedicated servers for:
- the web server & app server itself
- one for each DB servers (we use mysql & mongo)

Before doing so I would like to make sure:
Is there is a way to trigger snapshots simultaneously on several VM ensuring that they are in a consistent state (one compared to the other) and knowing that they are not physically on the same server?

I would need to make absolutely sure that mysql & mongo are as consistent as possible one with the other at their store data that is "connected" together by the web/app server.

I tried to find something already existing on the forum but let me know if I missed something!

Thanks!

Aurelien

Hello flow, hello Mark,

Thanks a lot for your replies.
Reading your answers I indeed understand that I was definitely looking at this from a wrong perspective and that implementing this wrong perspective would have been a pain!

Thanks Mark for the solution proposed, I think I will follow this idea.

Aurelien

Hi Aurelien,

Your very welcome.

Once you begin down this path it will come together quite quickly - good luck.

Thanks,

Mark.

Hello flow, hello Mark,

Thanks a lot for your replies.
Reading your answers I indeed understand that I was definitely looking at this from a wrong perspective and that implementing this wrong perspective would have been a pain!

Thanks Mark for the solution proposed, I think I will follow this idea.

Aurelien

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!