Connection failure. Network error or Proxmox VE services not running?

John Allison

Feb 1, 2018
Gateshead UK
www.adlinktech.com
I have 3 nodes in a cluster, recently our SSL certificates expired. We have a new one, but its a wildcard cert. I tried to apply it, but had a few problems. Eventually 2 of the nodes appeared to accept the new wildcard cert.
However the web admin consoles for these nodes no longer lets me logon.
I get the error "Connection failure. Network error or Proxmox VE services not running?".
I tried removing the pveproxy-ssl.key and pveproxy-ssl.pem files and running systemctl restart pveproxy, but no joy. Also tried copying the 2 files from the 3rd node, and restarting the proxy but still no joy.

Any ideas?

One quick fix which you could try:
* backup all certificate files to a safe location!
* remove all pveproxy-ssl.* files for all nodes
* run `pvecm updatecerts -force`
* restart pve-cluster, pvedaemon, pveproxy on all nodes

if this works - try installing the wildcard certificate again following the reference documentation (you need to add it for all nodes in their respective directories):
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-sysadmin.html#sysadmin_certificate_management

I hope this helps!

(if not please provide the logs (journal pveproxy access log) for the nodes)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!