Configuring HA

hotwired007

Sep 19, 2011
UK
Is there a walkthrough for configuiring HA/Fencing?

Ive seen this: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Fencing and http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/High_Availability_Cluster.

is thius still necessary on a PVE 2.1 install?
aptitude update && aptitude full-upgrade && aptitude install resource-agents-pve

I have 3 servers with PVE 2.1 and configured in a cluster... 2 have iDRAC6 cards the other has a Dell BMC.

My config file is below:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<cluster name="cluster" config_version="4">
<cman keyfile="/var/lib/pve-cluster/corosync.authkey">
</cman>
<fencedevices>
<fencedevice agent="fence_drac5" cmd_prompt="admin1->" ipaddr="192.168.100.90" login="root" name="voyager" passwd="password" secure="1"/>
<fencedevice agent="fence_drac5" cmd_prompt="admin1->" ipaddr="192.168.100.92" login="root" name="bellerophon" passwd="password" secure="1"/>
<fencedevice agent="fence_ipmilan" name="challenger" lanplus="1" ipaddr="192.168.100.94" login="root" passwd="password" power_wait="5"/>
</fencedevices>
<clusternodes>
<clusternode name="voyager" nodeid="1" votes="1">
<fence>
<method name="1">
<device name="voyager"/>
</method>
</fence>
</clusternode>
<clusternode name="bellerophon" nodeid="2" votes="1">
<fence>
<method name="1">
<device name="bellerophon"/>
</method>
</fence>
</clusternode>
<clusternode name="challenger" nodeid="3" votes="1">
<fence>
<method name="1">
<device name="challenger"/>
</method>
</fence>
</clusternode>
</clusternodes>
<rm>
<service autostart="1" exclusive="0" name="TestIP" recovery="relocate">
<ip address="192.168.7.180"/>
</service>
</rm>
</cluster>

I dont understand what the <rm> section is for...

the wiki pages are still valid, yes.

in the rm section you specify the resources. the TestIP service is just an example. if you add a VM/CT via GUI (see video on our youtube) you will see entries here.

I've now got the config loaded, trying to test it... according to this: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Fencing#Test_fencing

Im using the commands:
fence_ipmilan -l root -p password -a 192.168.100.94 -o status -v
and
fence_drac5 -l root -p f3nc3! -a 192.168.100.92 -o status -v

but i'm getting the following errors:

root@voyager:/# fence_ipmilan -l root -p f3nc3! -a 192.168.100.94 -o status -v
ipmilan: ipmitool not found!
failed: Failed to initialize

root@voyager:/# fence_drac5 -l root -p password -a 192.168.100.92 -o status -v
Unable to connect/login to fencing device

any ideas what im doing wrong?

install ipmitool via apt?

im assuming this will need installing on all the servers in the cluster? (it works perfectly) -goin to use the ipmi commands instead of the drac - seems to work just as well :D

I don't want to hijack this thread, but it has been two weeks since the last response and my question is in line with the original post. Is a fencing device required for HA? And by device, I mean a separate stand-alone device. Is there no way to setup HA without a separate fencing device?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to hijack this thread, but it has been two weeks since the last response and my question is in line with the original post. Is a fencing device required for HA? And by device, I mean a separate stand-alone device. Is there no way to setup HA without a separate fencing device?

Hi Jerim, i spent a long time trying to find a way of getting some of my old PCs into a HA cluster, if you have an external managed PDU, you could use that or most servers that have either BMC or ILO will accept IPMI commands for Power On/Off/Reset.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!