Configure fence device /etc/pve/ha/fence.cfg ?

FrancisS

Apr 26, 2019
Hello,

I have a two node cluster.

How can I configure a fence device with proxmox VE 7.x ?

What is the schema of the /etc/pve/ha/fence.cfg file ?

Best regards.

Francis

Hello UdoB,

Thank you for your reply I have already read this documentation, in fact I think I have read "all" the documentations...

The cluster is a test but for the corosync/dlm (I used iSCSI/LVM/gfs2) I have a back to back Ethernet cable.

For a two nodes cluster I have to configure a fence device (In this case an iLO fence) and I can not find information about how can I configure
for Proxmox 7.x the file "/etc/pve/ha/fence.cfg".

Best regards.

Francis

Hi Francis,

AFAIK, fencing was only possible up to Version 3.4 of Proxmox VE. Since 4.0 it's not possible to use any hardware fencing devices.

The only occurence of "fence.cfg" in the source code is in https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-cluster.git;a=blob;f=data/PVE/Cluster.pm#l68 - I am not sure about this but it looks like it was not reimplented since then.

QDevice is the way to go for a two node cluster.

Best regards,
Marco

Hi Francis,

it's sufficient to have something that can run a qdevice daemon. This may even be a raspberry pi or a VM on another cluster (docs).

Best regards,
Marco

Hi mgabriel,

Thank I know that but we need to have small "isolated" two nodes clusters, we do not want/cant manage raspberrys and we can not have VMs on another clusters (isolated cluster).

For us Two nodes and fence is the best solution, why fence is remove ???

On some clusters we want to use shared storage, shared lvm, gfs2 and dlm whitch need normally fence (for two nodes).

Best regards.

Francis

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!