Configure Default Boot Order for all new VMs?

devinacosta

Aug 3, 2017
Is there a setting in Proxmox that sets the default boot order for any newly created VMs? I am running into an issue where I am trying to use Packer against Proxmox to create a Template, but it's not setting the right boot order, so after it does install it fails to see the scsi-0 drive.

Under option tab of VM, there is a configuration for boot order, as below, is that you are looking for?

1604940900863.png

I know that exists, but the problem that I am having is that when the VM is created it is getting a default list of values from somewhere, and i need to change that list. I am using an automated script so changing it manually after VM is created is not ideal as it doesn't solve my automatic provisioning issue.

With packer version 1.6.6 (nightly) you can use the following config in your json:

Code:
"boot": "order=scsi0;ide2",

This doesn't work with packer 1.6.5 yet.

Reactions: Trilom
With packer version 1.6.6 (nightly) you can use the following config in your json:

Code:
"boot": "order=scsi0;ide2",

This doesn't work with packer 1.6.5 yet.
Thank you for this comment, this is infact some sort of issue. If you use packer 1.6.5 no matter what disk.device you choose it will not put the disk as the default boot disk on the created VM. When using 1.6.6 as explained here, this worked without adding anything to the boot command I don't know what it does. But this seems like an issue with the core functionality in 1.6.5 with the proxmox-iso.

Am doing research for my own similar issue.....

When you say in your json.... any idea where that json may be?

The issue i'm encountering is that I have a MacBigSur VM in Promox, and when loading, it stays stuck in a window that requires an input. i'm trying to default to a specific option so that it doesn't hang on this screen.

Here's an image of what I'm trying to bypass / provide a default.

Attachments

• VMExample.png
    VMExample.png
    180.3 KB · Views: 3

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!