Complete new setup

Atreides

Nov 11, 2019
Good day all.

I want to do a completely new setup.

I have never used this software before and I would really appreciate guidance to understand how proxmox works.

If someone who knows the software well enough would be willing to spare a minute to advise I would be most grateful.

1) Are the number of virtual cores I can sell to customers, equal to the CPU threads? so a 8 core cpu with 16 threads will allow me to sell 16 vcores?
2) If I build 1 server with 16 cores and 128gb of ram and 2tb of disk space (raid 5) set up in seph , can I convert it into a cluster later by adding another server? Or will that require an entire new setup? Can I grow from 1 server to a 5 server high availability cluster by simply adding more servers to it?

Last edited:
1) It is perfectly safe if the overall number of cores of all your VMs is greater than the number of cores on the server (e.g., 4 VMs with each 4 cores on a machine with only 8 cores). Please read here.
2) Ceph's and our documentation should be interesting.

I have never used this software before and I would really appreciate guidance to understand how proxmox works.

In this case I'd recommend to install PVE on a machine that you already have and experiment with it. You will need one test machine later on anyways.

Is it possible to add hosts to a cluster starting with just one server? Or is it not supported? (Do I need to start with a cluster from the get-go ? )

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!