Compile Proxmox VE from source

rstewart868

Jun 24, 2021
At one point I came across some sparse directions on how to compile Proxmox VE from source although I think it was a very old version, I cannot locate it any longer. Is there any documentation that someone can point me to to help with compiling VE from source, such as what packages/repos are needed for a base install and a little compile direction?

I'm interested in trimming down the dependencies for a handful of the packages as I don't use many items and it seems the dependency list for VE 7.0 on Bullseye has grown quite a bit.

Thanks!

Hi,

there's the README.dev file in pve-common which gives an overview, in general for single or even a few packages it just really makes sense to avoid the big dependency list and use mk-build-deps -ir (as root, else with sudo) in the base directory of a package git repo, it gets the build-dependency list from debian/control and creates+installs a meta-package depending on them, which makes it limited to the actual required one and allows to more easily autoremove them again.

Be sure to have the developer APT repo enabled too, see https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Documentation#Development_Package_Repository (and general that wiki).

In PVE 7 one will also net get around a rust compiler, at least if working on more than a specific package. While most higher-level stuff is still perl, there's constant movement to use rust for new things and port over existing things (that more slowly though) using our perlmod create to generate perl bindings from rust code (in much nicer way than perl XS is), just mentioning it for completenes’s sake.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!