compatibility hardware HP

Asistar

Feb 6, 2024
Hi everyone.

I'm new to the forum.
I have already used proxmox in the past on an HP server with P4xx series controllers and it worked great.

Now I'm looking for another server with the same controller but I can't find any.

I found an HP server with Broadcom MR416 RAID controller with cache

Is there anyone who can help me and tell me if proxmox works well with this controller?

Thank you all
Ivan

I've a DL20 with MR216 and 2 SSD NVME in RAIDZ-1 and it is very fast.
A DL325 with MR416 and 4 SSD NVME in RAIDZ-10 is fast, but not as DL20
A ML350 with MR408 and 2 SSD NVME in RAIDZ-1 has bad 4k random performance
If you use ZFS raid with these controllers, the very big problem is that you can't enable HBA mode.
If you use ZFS on top of HW RAID, may be they works well.
For the next servers i plan to use Broadcom 9500 hba controller

The MR416 supports all major operating systems, including Linux, VMware, and Windows. I would be surprised if it doesn't work out of the box. If it doesn't, you should be able to get it working by adding the drivers.

You didn't say if you want to use ZFS or ceph, or having the controller do the RAID, both of which generally prefer raw devices instead of a RAID controller. If probably can, but you may want to verify it can do passthrough if you are doing ZFS or ceph, but it should be fine for a typical RAID setup.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!