Comparing Incremental Backups

hi,

what information to you want exactly?

there is the 'proxmox-backup-debug diff' tool where you can show the diff between two snapshots, but that only works for .pxar archives (host and container backups)
also the backup log should show the difference in upload size (so how much data changed)

Thanks for the response.

Optimally, I'd like to get a list of what files were recorded as having changed, so that I can potentially move them to a not-backed-up second drive I use for cache and temporary folders.

Stuff like log files in odd places, or other transitory things which don't need to be backed up, take up space, and slow things down.

The second drive on each VM itself is a work-around for not being able to do excludes on VM snapshot backups.

~Josh

hi,

what information to you want exactly?

there is the 'proxmox-backup-debug diff' tool where you can show the diff between two snapshots, but that only works for .pxar archives (host and container backups)
also the backup log should show the difference in upload size (so how much data changed)

yeah for file backups the tool i mentioned should do that AFAIK, but for vms we can't do that since the backups are block based and not file based

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!