command 'qm shutdown 109 --skiplock --keepActive --timeout 600' failed: exit code 255

plittlefield

May 19, 2015
I now get this regularly on a Windows 7 Pro VM...

command 'qm shutdown 109 --skiplock --keepActive --timeout 600' failed: exit code 255
TASK ERROR: VM quit/powerdown failed - got timeout

...any ideas what this means?

I have the Qemu Agent running in Windows and VirtIO Drivers installed.

If I use the web gui to reboot the VM it works quite happily.

It just hangs on a backup. This is the command:-

vzdump 106 109 --mailnotification always --quiet 1 --mode stop --mailto backupnotify@domain.com --node proxmox1 --compress lzo --storage nfs1

Backups of Linux VMs work fine.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Paully

PVE Version: 3.4-3
Qemu Guest Agent Version: 7.3.2
VirtIO Version: 61.73.104.12600

Doesn't look like anyone answered you and your thread got buried maybe acpi command wasn't accepted I am looking into this myself as I have 1 vm that was backing up fine and now isn't. My VM is windows 2012 thats having the issue maybe this article will help
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Acpi_kvm

Thanks. That looks like it might be the solution, but I do not know how to 'change' or 'check' to see which ACPI HAL I have in my Windows 7 Pro VM....?!

should probably post more logs so others can see what is leading up to this. My issue was my NAS froze during a back up so my vm was locked I just had to open shell on that node and type "qm unlock 104" then the next backup was successful.

OK, I found out that a User was logged in and running a foreground app when the backup was happening. I have changed this so that no User is logged in and will wait to see if that fixes the timeout issue on the next scheduled backup.

That very well could do it I have some legacy apps that if they are up proxmox has trouble backing up that was going to be my next question best of luck to you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!